Difference in B&W sound

Greetings, I have a set of 804n & 803 Matrix2. I'm running a Pioneer Elite 74 Txvi with a parasound 2003 MOD & a Parasound 5250v2. the 804 have a sensitivity of 90db. & the 803s have 89db. The Matrix sound so much better, so why would this be for an older model? Could the 1db. be that much of a difference? I'm confused.
128x128danmar123
Since B&W has poor bass, is it a better idea to go with their bookshelf models and just add a subwoofer? Seems like you'd get their best virtues -- good mids and clean treble -- and just substitute their weakness with a dedicated sub. Just throwing that out there.
"01-22-15: Mkash3
Since B&W has poor bass, is it a better idea to go with their bookshelf models and just add a subwoofer? Seems like you'd get their best virtues -- good mids and clean treble -- and just substitute their weakness with a dedicated sub. Just throwing that out there."

I don't see how a setup like that would be an improvement. To start off with, the OP already has 2 pairs of B&W's. If you are trying to achieve better bass, it would make more sense to match a sub to a pair of the floor standers that he already has. Its much easier to integrate a sub into a system that has full range speakers to begin with. If you were to change over to something like an 805, there would be a huge gap between the low frequencies on the 805's and the highs on the sub. The best way I can describe the results, would be that it sounds like there's a hole in the music. Part of it is missing.
@Mkash3

Regarding poor bass.

My personal experiences have been that poor bass is the result of user set up error. Most of the time either the room/speaker relationship and/or the speaker/amp relationship. Poor bass can happen with all speaker brands not just B&W. If you hear poor bass at an audio show (very common) it is usually due to the room/speaker relationship, because the manufacturers and dealers usually bring compatible gear that has worked for them in their personal set ups. (process of elimination)

Specific to B&W - my experiences are to do good bass with them needs amps/s with "balls", as they have stubborn British woofers and unrelenting tweeters that tell all. There is no cover up happening here. Whether with the gear or the source material. You need amps that will take full control of the woofers. If this is not done your sound will not be balanced. You will know when your setup is off because bass will have little definition between bass notes, will be mediocre, and not dynamic. This in turn leads to an over emphasis on the highs - making them tizzy and harsh; all because of the amps inability to control the bottom end. The speakers will sound mechanical. You will not hear the music.

Being able to pressurize a room is important in getting good bass. A rule of thumb; any solid state amp must have the capability to double down. If 200 wpc at 8 ohms - they will do 400 at 4 ohms. From the tube amp side a robust amp that can be tapped on 4 ohms to control the B&W woofers. How many wpc is depending on room volume, listening habits, and woofer cabinet size(physics) unless you are using equalizers of some sort. Every body's room is different. If your struggling with poor bass listing out your equipment is not enough. You should post a picture.

You can have a full range 20hz - 20khz speaker set up wrong - you will get poor bass. You can also have a bookshelf speaker like an 805 that is good to 35-40 hz and if set up right will sound lovely. On its own depending on the music or with a sub. How good it will sound based on user setup.

805 Matrix S.Phile Review

As another example my Wayne Picquet Quad 57's have bass down to 40 hz. You can hear the notes. But their db level on the bass notes compared to the midrange and up is way down. Still for certain music like a Jazz trio/singer they are excellent even without subs.

Cheers
The base (GRANTED), isn't going to perform from a 6"driver x2 as it would from a 12". Weather I'm using them as my audio (music) or in my (video) 5.1 right now, but I do get my house rockin. I do have a pair of 805 packed away, eventually will set up a 7.1 or 9.2 etc.. I have a MK mx 125.2 push/pull for my sub which is set up behind the couch, really adds to the madness. I would move the 803s up front but as in my HTM1 (CENTER), I feel isn't going to be a good match for them.I live in NYC, so I'm not limited to high end audio shops.I know whats out there & I probably can do better but, this set up works for me. Evan with the Elite 74, I do impress some fellow audiophiles that I'm friends with.Can I do better? Always. Thats why I'm itchy for the new EMO.
"01-23-15: Danmar123
The base (GRANTED), isn't going to perform from a 6"driver x2 as it would from a 12"."

I know why you may think that, but its really not true. When it comes to bass, all other things being equal, the only difference when it comes to making bass is that you can move a big driver relatively slow or a small one faster, to achieve the same note. It doesn't really matter what the size of the drivers as long as they have the ability to perform like you need them to, with proper setup and equipment.

You also mention that you live in NY. If you haven't been there yet, check out Audio Connection in Verona NY (He's very close. Its kind of like going to Newark airport.). They sell B&W but makes stores like Lyric, Stereo Exchange, Park, all look like amateurs. Best audio store I've ever been to by far.

"I would move the 803s up front but as in my HTM1 (CENTER), I feel isn't going to be a good match for them."

You don't have to do anything you don't want to, but audio is very hands on. Never assume something will or won't work, especially when you already have the equipment sitting in your house. Always try things for yourself, if you can. Its very likely that you can end up saving thousands of dollars that could be put to better use, like paying parking tickets.