Audio Research Ref: CD8

I understand from speaking to Audio Research there is a CD8 now. CD8 has an upgraded power supply and DAC from the CD7. I have my CD7 at ARC for the power supply upgrade now.

Does anyone know more about the CD8?
wsill
I actually just purchased one of the last CD7's available for sale from Audio Research.

I went for the CD7 instead of the CD8 because I got a great deal on the CD7 with a trade in against my CD3 MkII and was also told by my dealer that the machine I was getting was a hybrid unit incorporating many of the design changes implemented for the CD8 with the exception of the new DAC; essentially a CD8 without the DAC upgrade. I guess it makes sense that as the factory ran out of parts for the old unit they would incorporate whatever parts could be directly substituted from the new unit in the last production run. While I have no way to verify this, the new unit delivered to me came with the new power supply already installed instead of an upgraded older power supply so I have to assume that what I was told was at least partly correct. (I also received the CD7 manual which referenced the CD7 tube complement instead of what was provided with my unit).

I have not had a chance to directly compare my unit to a CD-7 and have only run it for about 60 hours so far, but from memory of using a borrowed CD7 in my system I can already support the comments made regarding the performance of the upgraded CD7 and CD8. Notwithstanding the deficiencies of aural memory, there is definitely a more detailed, livelier sound with better soundstaging along with the impression of a slightly more extended, tighter bass. In fact the improvements are so much so that I was compelled to tweak the position of my speakers away from the back wall and further apart, something I did not feel inclined to do with the borrowed CD7. Performance should dramatically improve with break-in so I assume I am hearing only the tip of the iceberg.

It is not clear how much of a difference the DAC makes but assume that the CD8 will be even better than my unit. If someone ever has an opportunity to compare an upgraded CD7 to a CD8 I would be interested in the results. For now and into the foreseeable future I am in music lover heaven!
I was wondering if anyone knows if the modified CD 7 with the new power supply requires any "burn in time" or is it "good to go out of the box" once returned back from ARC?
The only "part" added is the 5881 tube, which replaces the 2 power supply regulator tubes.
Mine seem to sound great once it was returned from ARC.
Number95, when you compared CD7 to CD8 in your system, did you notice that CD8 is better in midbass power, weight and body than CD7? I own CD7 and sometimes I feel this is the only (relatively) weak point in CD7. I think that this little lack of midbass weight is sometimes caused by excessive warmth in midbass region. thanks.
Mkilpi, I might say CD8 was not fully burned-in so that the frequency extremes might get even better, but I can clearly say the bass definition of CD8 is superior. It is faster and a bit more neutral in texture so that CD7 is trying to catch the timing and a bit lacks and feels like a bit heavy and boomy. I never felt CD7 had a lack of midbass weight, and indeed it was the player which had more weight and emphasis on midbass. While CD7 was louder and heavier in midbass, CD8 had a better control, faster and deeper (and probably lower) bass definition. So compared to CD8, CD7 sounded darker. On the other hand, CD8 did not have a tonal preference. The CD7 unit we tested did not have upgraded power supply kit. So, I cant comment on whether the new power supply or new DAC of CD8 or both of them creating the difference. Given Wsill's comments for power supply upgrade of CD7, I assume an upgraded CD7 performs better than original CD7. So, a comparison of an upgraded CD7 with CD8 will be more meaningful to evaluate the CD8. Best Regards.