Digital Audio Denmark convertors

Has any member of this forum had an opportunity to audition these convertors and if so what is their impression.
I have heard them in my system for a short period of time and thought that they were outstanding on CD plaback alone. I was not able to access their higher resolution playback.
Anyone had a chance to compare this converter with other top rated converters such as Playback designs/Berkeley Audio dac etc?

ecka
Mine is in Fedex;

Should be here on Saturday;

I hope to get it connected via the Weiss Minerva over the weekend. Then I will burn it in for 24 hours a day for 7 days - playback through the computer & will listen to it
after 1 week on next Sunday.

I shall write a detailed reciew on the DAD - AX24 - http://www.digitalaudio.dk/ax24.htm

My resident ref machine is a Meridian 808i.2.
Wonder how this will stack up.

I shall stay tuned...

MBJ
Why do you need a Weiss Minerva? Use the DAD AX24 on it's own. That way you'll get the best possible performance.
Use a Lynx AES16 or RME AES32/MADI card in your computer into the DAD.
Hi Crna39,

I think he's using the Minerva in place of the Lynx or any other sound card I think it should be as good or better than a sound card.

Best Regards,

Satyam Bachani.
In my experience, "ad hoc" comparisons of disparate digital audio products such as the MPS-5, DAD AX24 and Berkeley Alpha DAC (and others) without consideration and optimization of the signal chain for each product are misleading and will lead to erroneous conclusions, not even to factor in the wild card variable of personal taste.

At a high level the digital audio chain consists of a source (physical media or electronic file), playback software, source-to-DAC interface (firewire, USB, AES/EBU, coax, toslink, i2S), DAC and pre-amp (not to mention cables, power supply, vibration isolation, etc.).

The MPS-5 is an "all in one" source, playback software, source-to-DAC interface and DAC. All of these variables have been optimzied inside the box by the designer. The DAD AX24 is a DAC only (for these discussions; not sure if it has a pre-amp function) and the Berkeley Alpha DAC is a DAC/Pre-Amp.

I don't know about the DAD AX24, but I can say from experience to my ears, the Berkeley Alpha DAC only sounds its best on CDRB using its filter 1.24 (1.16 is default), its own pre-amp section, and a high quality AES/EBU interface. For example, in my system if I feed the Berkeley an AES input directly from a Lynx AES16 without inserting a noise isolation and reclocker device like the Antelope DA the sound quality is significantly degraded (presumably due to the effects of EMI/RFI noise and jitter). And of course, comparing any of these products without listening to both CDRB and hi-rez seems incomplete.

I'm sure the MPS-5 and DAD AX24 are excellent products, as well as the MH ULN-8 which gets raves, but if one is to conduct a valid comparison then the entire signal chain must be optimized for each piece IMHO.
as far as optimization of digital playback, the Playback Designs MPS-5 does solve the clocking/jitter issue intertnally without reclocking devices.

for some insight into how Playback Designs approaches this issue, follow this link to some answers from Andreas Koch, the designer of the MPS-5;

Link to Andreas's comments

i use the MPS-5 as a high rez server DAC as well as an SACD disc player and Redbook disc player. it's the player i prefer at all three of these tasks i have heard. i use the Lynx AES16 XLR sound card in my server.