Squeezebox Duet VS AppleTV

I've seen recommendations for both options for accessing digital music files, but before I decide, I have a couple basic questions for each alternative.

1. If I connect a Squeezebox to my pre-amp, does that effectively "disable" the volume control on the Squeezebox controller?

2. If I connect an AppleTV box to my PC and then rip my CD collection to the AppleTV box, can I then disconnect the PC from the box and just access the box directly (using an iTOUCH as remote)? Will the iTOUCH display all the track info and album art?
mikewdc
In answer to second part of your question:
Yes you can access your entire library on you ATV using a itouch, which will display track info and album art. Additonally anytime you add music on to your PC the ATV is updated wirelessly on wifi everytime you open itunes
you don't connect your AppleTV to the PC it wirelessly will grab the iTunes accounts from up to 5 PC's and manage them all. It's very cool and easy to use. IF you have iTunes it is super easy to use, and does movies, YouTube....

I love mine.
In answer to the first question about the Squeezebox, there is a setting on the player to choose either fixed level output or a variable level that can be controlled with the remote.

However, the subject has been discussed in great detail on the Slimdevices forum and the designers state there is no loss of detail as long as the volume is kept in roughly the top 40% of its range if you choose to use the variable output.

I have a Squeezebox 3 (now called the Classic) and a Duet player. Both are great and I'm satisfied with the user interface and extremely pleased with the audio quality through my external DAC. I've absolutely no urge to switch to anything else.