Praise for DacMagic

Just wanted to give some very positive feedback for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC. It doesn't seem to get much attention around these forums, but I am enjoying it immensely. In my opion, terrific value for the money.

During the past few weeks, I have used it with great success both within a PC music server and 2-channel environments.

Who knows, I may end up switching it out for a better DAC in the future, but for now I am quite pleased.

As a side note, I was not impressed with it at first when used to enhance an NAD C541 CDP. On a whim, I switched out the NAD for a modest Sony DVD player that is around 5-7 years old. Then, everything came into place and the music was rich and detailed. The Sony DVD/DacMagic combination blew the doors off the NAD/DacMagic combination. Go figure...
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
I currently own both a Benchmark DAC 1 and a DacMagic. I use both in my main system. They're both very good (and the DacMagic is a very good value, to boot), but they sound quite different from each other.

The Benchmark is noticeably leaner sounding and, as with many components that are tonally balanced for this character, it is very revealing. The sense of transparency to the source is very high. From the upper mids through the treble (to the limit of my 51 year old hearing, anyway), the DAC 1 is "laid back" which provides a nice octave to octave balance. A bonus is superb imaging with dramatic depth.

The Cambridge is both warmer and a touch brighter. It might sound less "transparent", but more dynamic. Imaging is quite good, but not at the DAC 1 level.

To me, this is a system dependent choice. I rotate 4 different speakers (Merlin, Verity, Ohm+Velodyne, Magnepan+Velodyne) in my main system and each one sounds a bit different when a different DAC is rotated into service. The added dynamics of the Cambridge benefit both of the sub/sat combos, which are getting more time these days, so the DacMagic is my choice. OTOH, I prefer the Benchmark with the Verity and the Merlin is a toss-up.

All, of course, IMHO.

Hope that's useful.

Marty
Auronthas, I have the DacMagic mated with the CA 540C v2 and it performs remarkably well.
Edgejazz, thanks for reporting, how's the sound produced by DacMagic compared to CA 540V2? I prefer warmer and musical sound, my music preference towards vocal jazz, classical, new age and easy listening genres.

Thanks again.
Auronthas, the sound is warm and musical, you will be pleased. We kinda listen to similar genres and I can tell you that jazz and vocal jazz are the two that semm to perform best in my set up. When you do get the DacMagic, give it some time to settle down. But even out of the box, from my experience at least, it improved the soundstage, imaging, detail, and tighter low end, but still maintaining the warm character of the system. Hope this helps.