Wadia 170i/DAC combo with AudioEngine speakers

I use AudioEngine A2 and A5 speakers with an Ipod as a portable stereo system that sounds pretty good on vacation. Very decent sound for a lake cabin or out on a pontoon boat with a power pack (using the A2s, not the A5s). In my opinion, the Ipod/A5 combo fills a lake cabin living room with very adequate sound.

I've never heard an Ipod through a 170i/DAC combination. The references I've read tend to focus on a primary home system. My question is this: Is an 170i/DAC combination overkill if you're using the AudioEngine A5 speakers? The Ipod/A5 combo sounds pretty good and is affordable. Is it worth adding the 170i/DAC combo to this "system"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
lrdmax
Hi Lrdmax,

I have the A5's and the A2's and I will tell you that the A5'S are able to resolve the difference's between different DAC's. While using the high quality Bitrates (Apple Loseless), I have compared the digital output jacks from my MacPro Desktop, iPod, Logitech Duet, and Benchmark DAC1 and the Benchmark was the obvious winner. The Audioengine A5's are like good Studio Monitors and they are very resolving for nearfield listening, they can certainly resolve the differences between different DAC's, power cord's or interconnects especially when hooked up to a quality DAC. I have never listened to the Wadia i70, but it's reputation proceeds itself.

However, for walking around or background music you will not appreciate the difference, but if you sit in front of the A5's for critical listening enjoyment, then you will most certainly be rewarded with worthwhile sonic improvements.
Richlane,

Thanks. Your answer is the kind of information I was looking for. It sounds like the addition of the 170i and a decent DAC will result in a sonic improvement. At least it sounds like it's worth a try.
To get the most out of the Wadia you need an exceptional external DAC. Using the Wadia just as a dock IS indeed overkill and you'll be as happy with a Cambridge or something like that.

I've got the Audioengine speakers and the Wadia, but use the Wadia in my main system, feeding it through a SOTA DAC with exceptional results. If you've got a great DAC laying around, then it'll be very nice. The AE speakers are up to the task, but if you have to buy a high quality DAC for the pontoon boat, then that's probably overkill.

Dave
I own and love the A5 but returned the A2. Prefer M-Audio model 40 (might be called AV40) over the A2. Amazon sells them around $150 shipped last I checked. The A2 sounds strained to me compared to A5 or the M-Audio. A5 is warmer and more robust than the M-Audio model.

I use computer as source for A5's and M-Audio. Switched to Devilsound DAC (Latest model, USB to RCA) from using the computer sound card, and it is a VERY audible improvement.

Art