has anyone tried PS Audio perfect wave duo

any experience/thoughts on new PS audio perfect wave transport and dac
hifinut
i agree Rodger. if they're gonna sell them separate and make marketing statements regarding alt set-up's...your comparison was 100% fair/valid imo.

just wasn't the camparo/information i was looking for specifically. not knowing alot about transports and dac's in general, i was hoping to see some real world comparisons with the duo against other similar set-ups.

btw...funny you mentioned the transport sound when opening/closing. that was the single biggest negative i remember from my demo.

thanks again for taking the time to report

cheers

Lev
Just got my PWD last night, and here are my initial impressions.

I have two source connections, a Sony Viao laptop (via USB) for playing a small handful of hi rez files I have and a Cullen Circuits modified Sonos (via Coax) with a 96k upsampled output for all my redbook content. Previously I was using a PS Audio DL3 with Cullen Circuits Level 3 mod. The Cullen Modded DL3 reached much deeper and was much more detailed/cleaner than the stock unit. I preferred it by a wide margin to the Benchmark DAC 1 (too analytical sounding for my tastes) and the stock Slim Devices Transporter (lacking in energy for me). I'm using Nordost power and speaker cables, Transparent Audio interconnects, ProAc 1SC speakers, and a Manley Stingray integrated.

Right out of the box, the PWD is immediately even deeper and wider than the moded DL3 - a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one. The accuracy and detail impressed me too. There were things I was hearing in some of my favorite recordings that I knew were there but wasn't hearing on the DL3. Thinks like the resonation of a drum hit or the pluck of the bass string that got muddied or covered previously was there now. of course, this was especially evident when I went to my hi rez recordings via USB.

The thing that has me the most excited - and was not something I expected - is the lack of fatigue. On first listen, it seemed more laid back than the DL3 and I was worried it wouldn't be lively enough for me. But the more I listened the more I realized it is just a higher quality sound. I listened for about 4 hours with almost no fatigue - something I could never do with the DL3. In retrospect, I think I was interpreting the brightness of the DL3 as the vivid sound I like when in fact I just lacked quality. Because I could hear more, I felt more involved with the PWD than I ever did with the DL3. Assuming that trend holds, I'll be very happy to be able to have more extended listening sessions.

I didn't mess with the filters much, preferring to just let the auto filter do it's thing. However, flipping around them I can clearly hear how someone may find a preference for one over the other to suit their tastes. One rolls off the high end a little quicker, one does a little better job of knocking down the clutter you get with a lot of instruments in the mix, and so on. I might even end up developing a preference based on the type of music I'm playing. Let's face it, I listen to acoustic jazz for different reasons than I listen to pop, prog rock, or classical. And yes, I listen to all of them.

I'm looking forward to eventually replacing my Sonos and Laptop with the Bridge when it comes out. It will probably help me eliminate the last bit of glare and hash I get from the Sonos. And I've never been able to get the AISO driver properly configured for my laptop, so I'm always wondering if I should be getting better there as well.

All things considered, I'm extremely happy with my first few hours. Talk to me in a month and hopefully I'm still giddy.
who's crying Rafael??. the only times i saw the word "fair" were in rodger's and your post??. i certainly didn't use it or even imply it. sounds like you got a little chip on your shoulder Rafael. it appears you have found the comparison results you were hoping for =)

if you really want to use word "fair" and or "unfair"...that's fine. while the reference set-up in this comparison was configured as recommended or near optimally, the PWT was not. i didn't/won't use the word unfair but will say it was not a *good* comparison if one hopes to find out what the PWT/PWD can do. other then that....i had no problem with the comparison. what i do have a problem with is you saying me or anybody else is crying here. talk about BS!
Roger; does anyone have experience connecting the PST transport via hdmi into the new Meridian 621 switcher; which claims to have its new aphodizing filter incorporated; then running that back out into a digital Meridian processor. PS Audio's web page states that their hdmi interface is proprietary; and may only work on their DAC unit for optimal sound...
I am using a G-98 into the 621 switcher via hdmi; and noticed a nice improvement; but want to soon audition the PST; and want to figure out best way of incorporating it...hard to use external dacs with Meridian gear; as their processors convert most all signals back to digital anyway...thanks.
Hello Levy3,

Roger concluded: "...PWT itself does not sound as good as a high-end transport like the Forsell"

In response, you wrote: "...as of release, the PWT and PWD are made to work together in a pretty specific way. super high res DVD recordings, native and memory playback, I2S connection, asynchronous clock, digital filters ect..."

However, transport part of this "specific way" was replicated in Roger experiment in full except the signal was transmitted not by I^2 as recommended by PS Audio. Even if I^2 would be implemented then result for PWT, at best, could be slightly better... nothing more

If my characterization of your objection of stepping out from PS Audio prescribed protocal (as of release, of course ;--) then my deepest apologies.

As self characterized newbie try to distinquish very few, almsot impeccable observations like Roger did from bazzilion of other like above where someone stated that he examined a hansful of hi-rez file using regular USB port which is capable of 16 bit 48 kHz max transmission.

As you can see I am not looking for the budies here but accurate information which Roger provided and this fellow did not. His (probably accurate) observation I attribute in large degree to his faulty methodology and thus almost worthless. I am saying "almost" because others who use noisy computers with non-dedicated UBS port or Sonos as the source and compare to... other PS Audio DAC ( improved by Mr. Cullen or not) should be very clearly happy with his results, and its important and its useful.

All The Best.
Rafael