has anyone tried PS Audio perfect wave duo

any experience/thoughts on new PS audio perfect wave transport and dac
hifinut
hi sgr:

why do you prefer your reference dac and xport to the ps audio gear ?

do you perceive subtractive or additive coloration coming from the ps audio gear ?

what is your reference dac and xport ?
Right now, the PS Audio PWT/PWD does have a very relaxing and involving sound (it is fun!), and it continues to improve. However, the Levinson Reference combo seems to have a way of resolving the details better. I here more tones and shading to instruments. So far, (and I don't want to say, it can never have these attributes, as I am still trying new power cords, interconnects, etc) the Levinson sounds more delicate, has better timber and nuances, a leaner but true to the music bass.
I would attribute these differnces to the expense and over engineered Levinson power supplies, a superior transport system, and DACS that are still highly regarded today, even though they are not as fancy or modern as today's era. I guess I would call it execution on the Levinson side.
The reference products were and are something special.
I propose that if a company used the Levinson standard for engineering along with the ideas invented and pioneered by PS Audio, something special indeed might happen in the audio world. However PS Audio wanted a product that many people could afford and the Levinson combo retailed for over $20000. I believe.(which was out of my reach if I hadn't purchased it used). I am using the I2S connection via a Nordost HDMI cable suppled by Music Direct.
I am a fan of the PS Audio combo. I do like it . . .a lot.
Is it a contender for best in the world . . . not sure, still experimenting and evaluating.
Thanks for the compliments on my system, and wait to you see the Helix, I'll be posting new pictures soon!
Hi Sgr:

What a system! You are a man that have obviously built your components around your room and I can imagine the results.

Patience is a virtue and after all the years, hard work and experience that you have spent your system posted on Audiogon is paying you back the pleasure.

I have been observing and reading all the forum threads about the magic and the dynamics of the sound and how PSAudio PWD/PWT "New Wave" was promising to take the way we listen to music to another level.

I also have been doing this for 30 years and was waiting for some of the dust to settle now I find it interesting and not surprised such comments and testimonial attributes are now surfacing.

Whom better to test true results of components of this nature in the real world obviously the room that you have engineered and developed probably IMHO observes garbage in garbage out. I am saying this in a matter of respect and not in a derogatory way. Example, I have also have been victim of cheap label recordings that sound as described.

Thank you for being directive with Audiogon members and sharing your observation up to this point on the issue. Please give us more feedback, I am sure 2-3 weeks however should be enough patience's critiquing on your fact finding mission.

Congratulation on your other master piece.... Great system!

Enjoy music.

Harold
thanks for the input sgr. the reason i asked was that i've read the PWT/PWD can run with the big dogs but personally found that very hard to believe. having no experience with super high end stuff (like your awesome system), i wouldn't/didn't have a clue how it would stack up. having paid 4k for my pair (with trade in program), i can't see how it could sound "as good as" stuff in the upper teir's of audio that cost many times more.

in your opinion...does the PWT/PWD have any business at all being compared to your levinson stuff and the like?. your "not even close" comment makes me think they don't.

not to take anything away from PSA, as this is the best sound i've ever owned/experienced. i'm very happy with the purchase and have no regrets what so ever. just wondering if all/some of the hype surrounding the product is true or not.

btw...having a levinson based system would be a dream come true for me. someday i hope!

thanks again
I am really not trying to dissuade anyone from not liking the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and Transport. I like it alot and enjoy listening to it very much. I've read people's comments and reviews and agree with what they say about the sound and feature set. There is another thread on Audiogon where the reviewer compares the PWT to his Forsell transport and I believe he makes some interesting points as well. I think a fantastic system could easily be built around it. I would be willing to bet it sounds better than some of the other highly touted gear. And of course the sound a new piece of gear is system dependent. I am puzzled as to why I'm not hearing what others have claimed. I just assumed that something as well thought out as the PWT/PWD are would more than give my equipment a run for the money. I'm investigating obtaining the new PS Audio HDMI cable and Power Cords to see if that makes a difference. I'm wondering what a difference the PS Audio Power Plant Premier would make?(I've heard rumors that there will be a new power supply available latter this winter that might make it better.)
I'm also breaking it in with care before I finish my evaluations although I did think it sounded great after just a few hours of warmup.

Levy03,
I believe "not even close" in retrospect was a poor choice of words. I'm sorry that my words could raise doubts about your purchase. I would own these two pieces with pride and they may indeed find a "home" in my system yet. I really like the idea of a hard drive based music system and have followed the Perfect Wave developent with great anticipation. You've done a great job building your system and it has taken me more than a few years to develop mine to this point and sometimes I still have doubts if I've made the correct audio choices.
Good listening to all and I'll keep you informed of my findings.