need crash course in using digital music.

just getting back into hi-fi and need some help understanding all the new "stuff" that's out there regarding digital music. i have owned an ipod for years but that's really about it. have been a CD guy most of my life and still enjoy them, but would like to venture out a bit.

my basic (and i mean basic) understanding is this:

there is a way to download very high quality recordings and burn them onto a disc. said disc then sounds fantastic?

i need an idiots guide to do the above. from the very basics on up. are there any web source's that can help me or even a book?. would like to do this asap because the timing of my transport/dac purchase just got pushed up. i'd like to be able to use it when it arrives (other then regular cd's that is). was thinking i had a couple months before getting something but now it looks like next week.

have got a PS audio PWT/PWD inbound. from what i understand....it's work fine with most of the "new digital music". various formats and recording resolutions. i'll get the equipment sorted out via the owners manual. need some help with the source music though.

don't need the super technical side of things but do wish to have a good understanding of the various formats, types, methods, materials ect....

it's all new to me. things like 24/48, 96, 192, FLAC, native, ect......currently have little/no meaning. my experience ends with clicking the tab at i-tunes. i've got alot to learn

if anyone could point me in a right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
levy03
Hey Sbank,

""Other than file sizes, is there any downside to AIFF? I am ripping many CDs into itunes in AIFF format, currently used with a WindowsXP PC.""

AIFF is a great choice for sound quality and it's supported by Apple, and it's compatible with iTunes, and the Transporter, Squeezebox, and PS Audio Bridge/DAC although it sounds like this codec will be converted on the fly, however it should work well for all of your needs.

If you find a product down the line that it doesn't work for, then the AIFF Codec can always be converted to some other lossless format down the line.

One thing that I would recommend before converting your music to another Codec, would be to make a copy of all the music first and then convert the copies to the new codec, so you'll still have the originals, just in case there was a problem or you were unhappy with the results.

Rich
Earlier I noted Easy CD-DA for file conversion but forgot that it only supports Redbook format. Sorry for the bad post.

If you are converting between wav and flac, the best tool is going to be the actual FLAC front end - get it here: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

As for the PW DAC - I've posted a more extensive review in this thread here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1245900512&openflup&56&4#56

Good luck!
Also... if you use EAC... it's default conversion for ripping and burning is the WAV format. you can choose to either have it delete the WAV files after they are reformated into FLAC, or what ever other plug in you use, or keep them in the chosen directory.

AS for how many albums done in FLAC can be placed onto a DVD... that will depend upon the bit rate you pick. More than four or five CD's can be placed onto a DVD if you are controling the FLAC bit rate for the orig encoding. If not you can burn and re-rip them into smaller sizes... it's a lossless codec so it shouldn't account for any actual loss of content.

The software and hardware afixed to the disc reading device is always going to be the decider on what it can and can not read/play. Just as there are DVD players SACD, DVDA, MP3, etc. The maker of these gizmos will tell you what they can and can not read/play...

Mixing files on a disc might amount to nothing more than a short pause in playback, or you may have to stop playback altogether to go to another file type.... check with whomever.

There's another distinct advantage of capturing and playing back directly from the HDD rather than burning things back to disc merely for playing back.

Silver discs limit versatility until their contents are transformed into a softer digital domain.

I'd reccomend using DVDRW, if the machine supports that media.

Good luck.. and remember... BACK UP ALL FILES ONTO AN INDEPENDANT STORAGE DEVICE.