Interaction with music server while listening?

I'm only just now starting to investigate music servers, so please pardon my ignorance. I'm interested in a silent computer-based server with AES ouput and hi-rez capacity, which will also rip my CDs, for use with an outboard DAC like Berkeley alpha. (Similar to servers offered at endpcnoise; but any other suggestions are welcome). My main question: What types of remotes are people finding most useful with such systems? I've seen units like the Logitech remotes, and also the small wireless netbook offered with Music Vault Diamond, but there must be many choices....
ral
Good morning Alan

Thanks for your detailed post. I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction to the Free VNC Server software. Just did a google search but none of the results were called Free VNC Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi Eddie,

You can get free vnc server at
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvnc.html
and free vnc viewer at
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html

Alan
Ral, you have many choices, and as someone noted, you need to take into account your computer hardware and software literacy in deciding which path to take.

After alot of research and experimentation, I built my own silent PC music server using the fanless Zalman TNN-300 chassis with solid state drives and a Lynx AES16 PCI card running Windows 7 64 bit. I use the XXHE player software and the Berkeley Alpha DAC. I am pretty PC and MAC literate so building my own PC was no big deal. I use a netbook running Remote Desktop Connection to talk to my music server. It works great and you have total control over the machine.

I was after the best possible sound quality. While I use and prefer Apple Mac products, to my ears the fanless PC running Win7 64 and using WASAPI to talk to the Lynx card gives better SQ than the Mac. That being said, I do think that a Linux music server has the potential for even better SQ, but then you really need to have Linux specific computer skills.