Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
A wild card perhaps, but I wonder if the reason the mod is available only to customers that purchased before November 9th might be due to the fact Oppo implemented the upgrade in the regular series without any hoopla and added the badge after production was underway and face plates available.

I'm not saying that's a fact, just wondering out loud why only early customers are entitled and not everyone with the early model.
"I'm not saying that's a fact, just wondering out loud why only early customers are entitled and not everyone with the early model."

No way.
Oppo is making the upgrade available - and at a discount - to those of us who bought before 11/9/09 because the "SE" version was not available at our time of purchase. Pretty classy way of doing business IMO.
My take on it is that they launched the SE version on November 9 so, from that point on, you have the option to buy the SE version outright at $899 (it would make no sense for them to allow people to buy the base BDP-83 from Nov 9 onwards and then buy the upgrade at $299 and get an SE BDP-83 without the faceplate at $100 less). Why dilute your revenue potential? So the the Nov 9 cutoff has to do with the timing of the SE launch and letting folks who bought the base BDP-83 model prior to that upgrade to the SE version if they so wish and those who want an SE from that point on buy it outright. That's the way I would have done it if I were in their shoes. Again smart pricing on their part.
My take on it is that they launched the SE version on November 9 so, from that point on, you have the option to buy the SE version outright at $899 (it would make no sense for them to allow people to buy the base BDP-83 from Nov 9 onwards and then buy the upgrade at $299 and get an SE BDP-83 without the faceplate at $100 less).

Yep, both you guys are right, I didn't think of it in those terms. Why offer a discount to those who had a chance but did not avail themselves but don't punish those that had no opportunity.

I agree it's classy marketing. Good call on both you guys part.

Now if someone could describe what we get for the $299.00 so those of us on the fence could decide if it's money well spent.
Albert...you get the new ESS DAC chipsets and upgraded power supplies which were the two weak points of the base BDP-83 player in terms of audio playback. Click on the link I posted in my first comment above (i'll include it again): http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/blu-ray-BDP-83SE-Features.aspx...

There are four tabs:
(1) "Features/Specs" which describes the SE in detail
(2) "Comparison" which compares the SE to the base model
(3) "Images" close up pics of the SE front and back
(4) "Upgrade Option" a description of the upgrade for base model owners.

Again as has been mentioned before, the upgrade to SE only impacts the audio performance through analog outputs (does not impact performance if you are going to be using HDMI output). Hope this helps.