Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
Finding yourself listening to the music instead of the sound of the player is a good sign.
Kr4, It doesn't use "The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. "
I emailed Oppo about the upgrade, since I got the standard version and wanted to see if I could upgrade later. You can not upgrade your regular version player unless you bought it before 11/9/2009. Upgrades will not be offered to anyone who bought the standard unit after that date. You will have to sell your unit and then by the official SE unit. I see that there are some companies offering upgrades and I may take that route in the future.

Mark.

Mark.

>>Why can't they offer the upgrade to anyone, in the future, say for the cost difference between the two, 400 bucks.<<

I asked that today of Oppo and was told a new version is out, so buy that one instead.... if you want.

No upgrades to sE will come out later for previous BDP 83 owners.... was the message conveyed to me.

I did find out that their warranty is transferable, even if you buy added coverages of the one or two year types. One yr = 49.00; two yr = 69.00.

They've plenty in stock of the std version which I'll order tomorrow. They also said theyve no notions now for upgrading the video'/digital sections in the near future either.
11-16-09: Tbg
Kr4, It doesn't use "The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. "
I do not understand this or the point.

Kal