Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
11-16-09: Tbg
Kr4, It doesn't use "The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. "
I do not understand this or the point.

Kal
Kr4, sound is the point. I am getting the Exemplar mods. on the OPPO BDP-83 where they work. Exemplar takes this unit to a level that I hope to soon hear. The OPPO BDP-83 SE makes these improvements impossible because of the new chip set.
Ah. That does not make the older, original chipset "better." It just makes it more suitable/convenient for your selected mod. In fact, the new chipset is, in all ways, superior.

Kal
The SE or a mod based on the SE looks like the best way to go if you have a setup up that is going to rely on the stereo or multichannel analog outputs
It looks like Modwright is going to continue to provide their mods on both the original BDP83 and on the new BDP83SE. Also looks like Nuforce is going to be selling a version of the BDP83SE with mods to the analog output stage (similar to Modwright). I don't know about the other outfits like RAM that have been modding the base model of the BDP83