Ayon Audio CD-5 versus CD-5s

What are the essential differences between the CD-5 and CD-5s? Has anyone heard one of the 5s units as yet?

Does Ayon have any plans to bring out a reference player like the CD-5/5s with built-in pre-amp that does SACD (2-channel) as well as Redbook CD?

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzephyr24069
I have cd-5s, and I have listened cd-5 before my purchase. There are quite numerous upgrades between cd-5 and cd-5s model. USB-board is one of them. Also analog inputs (now 1 balanced and 1 unbalanced, before 2 unbalanced) are not digitized (AD-converted) as before. There are also one analog (unbalanced) output for subwoofer etc. Display information is wider and contains more display options (as with cd-1sc for example). There are more switches in back to select different setups (example "normal amp" and "direct amp"). About sonical differences cant say anything yet, because im still under break-in period. But it sounds very good right now !
05-04-11: Akk_sound
Congratulations on new CD-5s Akk! Btw, the CD-5s also had some other upgrades incl further refined power supplies, improved analogue volume control, new pre-amp design & improved tube output stage. Gerhard Hirt told me the actual sonic improvement is tiny between the CD-5 & 5s as both players are already designed to the edge. Ayon's main goal was to add more features.

I actually think Gerhard is being a bit modest. Streamers should get a good improvement with the upgraded 24/96 asynchronous USB card & those connecting a tt via the analogue in's should also get a good improvement since the signal is no longer subject to a-d-a conversion as you mentioned. The CD-5s is a fully sorted player & is the one to own imho. I rate it as one of the top 3 rb cd players in the world, and one of the top 5 cd players at any price, however that is just my subjective opinion. In it's own price category however, it is without peer.
Akk congratulations on your purchase. I am still in my audition period with the CD5s and am loving what I hear, but boy - it takes awhile. Didn't begin to show its real potential until 50-100 hours , and now is blossoming at about 150 hours.
..am loving what I hear, but boy - it takes awhile. Didn't begin to show its real potential until 50-100 hours , and now is blossoming at about 150 hours.
yeah that's the massive power supplies & big Mundorf and polypro caps...enjoy!
I have listened about 50+ hours, and sound is getting better and better. So that would be not too easy, I upgraded my balanced Transparent mm1 interconnections to mm2 matched (high Impedance) ones, which cave extra resolution and wider sound field...but I´m still waiting final blossoming at about 300 hours.