Ayon Audio CD-5 versus CD-5s

What are the essential differences between the CD-5 and CD-5s? Has anyone heard one of the 5s units as yet?

Does Ayon have any plans to bring out a reference player like the CD-5/5s with built-in pre-amp that does SACD (2-channel) as well as Redbook CD?

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzephyr24069
I too notice a high, metallic 'ping' sound from my Ayon CD5s when changing sources; and it locks on to new source; its just a blip then wonderful and warm sound. I use balanced IC's from Ayon, but run it into a tubed VAC preamp; then out balanced to my solid state amps...so its not just when using the preamp function of Ayon that it 'pings', must a blip in its design; but I just get used to it; and don't worry about it anymore. No harm, no foul, but I do enjoy its wonderful sound stage; and detail and warmth...
Denon, i'd agree the preamp section in the CD-5s is good enough to knock off the Ref 3. In regard to your Krell 302, the imput impedance is set very high on xlr & should be benign to even the weakest tube preamps.

In regard to the metallic "ping" which you hear when you press play on your Ayon, this comes from the 6H30 tube filament and is very normal. Ayon do not use any negative feedback or compensators to erase tube noise or hum as most manufactures are doing. Boulder are the only company which properly understand negative feedback, but they are an exception. Most other applications of GNF have a negative impact on the sound.

Regarding the noise issue you're experiencing on "loudly" recorded cd's. Firstly, xlr cables help lower the noise floor through common mode noise rejection & better grounding, but also roughly double line level gain. The CD-5s already has high gain, and due to your Krell's high input impedance no doubt your over-juicing your amp which is causing the distortion. As a starting point, i'd recommend leaving the gain toggle set to 'low'. Remember the clipping point doesn't change with balanced cables, only the position on the volume control where that occurs. If the above doesn't solve your issue, i'd switch back to single ended cables which are apparently lowering the line level gain to an acceptable level.

Concerning the 6h30DR tubes, yes they are much superior to the factory EB's and provide a substantial improvement. But given the diminishing stocks of these tubes, I wouldn't have (personally) posted my source for the tubes, unless of course I didn't mind stock levels running down to ever looser matches & prices correspondingly increasing. My 2 cents.
Hi Mn9394, i'm not surprised your CD1s is struggling up against your Lamm amps! It sounds like you're looking for a warm, analogue sounding cdp. My advice is, give most consideration to the dac section, digital inputs and how it handles server based music (especially if this is going to be your last cdp) as we will all be using servers or pc's based digital sources in future. With that said, some players around that price range which I like are of course the CD-5s, Ancient Audio Lektor Air-V, Zanden Model 2500 (pre loved), Vitus RCD-100, Vitus SCD-010 (pre loved). I haven't included the ARC in this group purely because I find ARC a bit too neutral and lean sounding for my taste. In regard to the Ayon's preamp section, think of the CD-5s as an excellent transport and valve dac which is it's main function. The preamp circuitry does not take up much real estate...just compare a Skylla 2 dac vs a CD-5s. Besides, the preamp circuitry is switched off when you run preamp out. I can't really add much more to my review above. It is a terrific valve cdp.
Regards,
MG
02-27-12: Leicachamp
I have heard the KWA-150 set up with a CD-2s as source run single ended into the MW. The speakers were Wilson Benesch ACT's. This combination sounded wonderfully warm & liquid. Very tube-like! I'd definitely go single ended if you're considering a CD-5s/KWA-150 pairing. Incidentally, if your budget can stretch a bit, i'd grab the 'signature edition' which is even better, but that's a story for another thread.