Peachtree Audio iDecco & iPod/iPhone Compatibility

Just recently bought the Peachtree iDecco to set up a bedroom system. I'm feeding it mostly Apple Lossless files through my iPhone 3G and CDs through an Oppo DVD player via coax. Along with my Totem Mites, it's making great music! I think when I move to house with a bigger bedroom in the near future, I'll add a separate amp and use the iDecco mainly as an iPod dock, DAC, and preamp. One quick question, so far based on my extensive Google search, I've seen people using it as a preamp with amps such as PS Audio Trio A100 and Jolida JD-1501P. Any other good reasonably priced power amps people have tried with iDecco? Please post.

Anyway, the main purpose for starting this thread is to post compatibility result with various models of iPod and iPhone. Here's what's listed on Peach Audio website:

"Made for iPod Touch (1st & 2nd generation) iPod Classic 80G, 120G, 160G only, Nano 2nd-5th generation"

Well, I don't have any of the models listed above, currently I have a iPod Nano 1st generation and iPhone 3G, neither one is listed as compatible. I figured why not give it a try anyway. Here's what I found. 1st generation iPod Nano did not work at all, when I placed it on the dock, "Okay to disconnect" message popped up on the iPod screen, pressing any of the buttons would not do anything. One the other hand, iPhone 3G (with iOS 4.01) worked! When I first docked it, a message box would pop up stating that the device is not optimized for iPhone; however, I was able to close the message box and lauch iPod app without any problem. Music would play smoothly, and I was able to use the iDecco remote to start, pause, skip forward and skip backward.

Hopefully this information is helpful to someone since I searched extensively on Google and different websites and couldn't find any info about compatibility between iDecco and iPhone before this.

Please post here if you had tried iDecco and any other models of iPhone and iPod not listed above. For example, has anyone tried it with the original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 4? What about 3rd generation iPod touch (the new 32GB and 64GB models)?

Thanks.
happybob
I don't have an iDecco, but I have an iPhone and hopefully can interject some thoughts.

The not optimized message has to do with rejecting noise from the phone trying to find a signal. It's that buzzing noise that can happen when any cell phone is near speakers or amps. When my iPhone (and every other cell phone I've had) is near my alarm clock and the phone rings, right before it rings, the alarm clock buzzes.

To avoid this, put the iPhone into Airplane Mode.

As far as sound quality, a digit stream is a digital stream. The stream will come out of both bot perfect. One may have a little more jitter than the other, but it'll probably be negligible.

As was said above, the iPhone's biggest weakness is storage space. An iPod would have a lot more space for the money.

A great option to look into is an Apple TV. It has a digital output, stores music on it's internal hard drive, is dead silent, and can be controlled by an iPhone if desired. It has Internet radio too. No Pandora though.

Just a few thoughts.
Sorry for a few misspellings. I'm posting from my iPhone and editing isn't very easy.

BTW, I'm also controlling my Apple TV with my iPhone as I type this.

I'd really like some thoughts on the iDecco if you guys wouldn't mind. I've read a review or two, but you know how that goes. What would you compare it's house sound to? Warm like NAD, Marantz, etc? Forward, laid back?

My system's changing a bit, due to a recent move. I need my system to have less boxes. I'd love a NaimUniti, but it's a bot expensive for me.
I don't have an iDecco, but I have an iPhone and hopefully can interject some thoughts.

The not optimized message has to do with rejecting noise from the phone trying to find a signal. It's that buzzing noise that can happen when any cell phone is near speakers or amps. When my iPhone (and every other cell phone I've had) is near my alarm clock and the phone rings, right before it rings, the alarm clock buzzes.

To avoid this, put the iPhone into Airplane Mode.

As far as sound quality, a digit stream is a digital stream. The stream will come out of both bot perfect. One may have a little more jitter than the other, but it'll probably be negligible.

As was said above, the iPhone's biggest weakness is storage space. An iPod would have a lot more space for the money.

A great option to look into is an Apple TV. It has a digital output, stores music on it's internal hard drive, is dead silent, and can be controlled by an iPhone if desired. It has Internet radio too. No Pandora though.

Just a few thoughts.
Apple TV seems to be a decent alternative to Squeezebox Touch. I checked one out at the Apple store recently, it seemed to run pretty hot to touch. Also no Pandora is a downside (although you can get Pandora indirectly through Airfoil). There's also rumors that the next generation cheaper Apple TV is about to come out...

BTW, the iDecco's sound is probably on the slightly warmer side, especially through the tube output (you also have the option of switching off the tube). it's really a great overall package, and will only improve more based on what I have read if you add separate power amps later.
Thanks for the insight on the iDecco, Bob. If I go the iDecco route, it'll be due to simplicity. Connecting an amp wouldn't be realistic in my case. I have a Bryston B60, but have recently moved and am expecting our first child. The turntable has to be stored for a few years, the speakers will have to go on a shelf when she starts crawling, etc. I lost my dedicated man-cave room in exchange for more space in the new place. No dedicated room requires as few boxes as possible. I'd love to hook up the Apple TV to something along the lines of the Decco or Nova (no iPod dock needed for me) to keep things simple.

I'd get the internal DAC Tom my B60, but it's only available as a coax, and my Apple TV only has optical. I figure a few digital inputs will go well with the TV and DVD player too.

Regarding the next Apple TV, rumor has it that it won't have an internal hard drive, which kind of defeats my appeal for the Apple TV. I lie not needing the computer to be on at all times. Everything being synched to my Apple TV eliminates drop outs too.

Just some thoughts. Sorry if I'm taking your thread off track.