CD vs. Vinyl

I've personally had to opportunity to listen to identical music on vinyl and CD on an extremely high end system, possibly a seven figure system, and certainly recognized the stark difference between the vinyl sound and a CD.

What makes this difference? Here are three situation to consider assuming the same piece of music:

(1) An original analogue recording on a vinyl vs. an A/D CD

(2) An original analogue recording on vinyl vs. an original digital recording on CD

(3) An original digial recording on CD vs. a D/A recording on vinyl

I wonder if the sound of vinyl is in some ways similar to the "color" of speakers? It's not so much of an information difference, just the sound of the medium?

Any thoughts?
mceljo
There is one factor that the vinyl vs. cd argument cannot ignore - a tremendous amount of music is, and has been, released only on cd, and will never be available on vinyl.

If you are only interested in sound reproduction, this argment will not matter to you, but if you are a musical omnivore you have probably learned to live happily with cds over the last 25yrs (and they did start to sound a lot better in the early 1990's).
There is one factor that the vinyl vs. cd argument cannot ignore-a tremendous amount of music has been released only on vinyl, and will never be available on cd.

But if you are a musical omnivore you have probably learned to live happily with vinyl over the last 75yrs(and they did start to sound a lot better in the early 1950's).

Just kidding with you :^)
My question is more theoretical than anything else. I don't have any plans to get into vinyl, but appreciate the sound quality.

As for CDs, I have my music somewhat divided into quality and not so great CDs. I have one particular CD that is one of my best recording and it replaced a version that was probably the worst.
First of all are we comparing apples to apples? Usually these experiments include a much more expensive turntable/arm/cartridge. Another question is what source is the system based on. There is a difference paticularly in high frequency information between vinyl and CD therefore system assembly plays a crucial role in the end result.

One advantage vinyl has over digital is the signal remains analog. Did anyone see the movie "The Fly"? Jeff Goldbloom cuts a steak in half and sends half of the steak through his invention where the steak is taken apart and reassembled in another location. After cooking both pieces of steak it became very obvious the steak that was taken apart and reassembled did not taste quite right. Could this be the problem with some CD players?