horace silver has died

underrated artist and composure as far as i am concerned. just listened to one of my favorite jazz tunes "senor blues" and now will listen to one of my favorite lp's tokyo blues. wondering if anyone else has any favorites
bianchi27
Frogman
Albert, I am intrigued by your comment re tenor sax. I am not aware of Silver playing saxophone; would love to hear that.
Ghasley
he never played sax but featured it often in his band
(From WIkipedia)

Silver was born on September 2, 1928, in Norwalk, Connecticut, United States. His father, John Tavares Silva, was from the island of Maio in Cape Verde while his mother was born in New Canaan, Connecticut, and was of Irish-African descent. His father taught him the folk music of Cape Verde.[5]

Silver began his career as a tenor saxophonist but later switched to piano. His tenor saxophone playing was highly influenced by Lester Young, and his piano style by Bud Powell. Silver's big break came in 1950 backing saxophonist Stan Getz at The Sundown Club in Hartford, Connecticut.[6] Getz liked Silver's band and took them on the road, eventually recording three of Silver's compositions. It was with Getz that Silver made his recording debut. His first recording was for the 1950 Stan Getz Quartet album, which featured Getz and Silver with Joe Calloway on bass and Walter Bolden on drums.
(End of Wikipedia quote)

HIs father's influence of Cape Verde Folk Music comes through with plenty of emotion and heart in the 1965 Blue Note tital, "Cape Verdean Blues."

I don't have the original but the 45 RPM reissue from Music Matters Jazz is stunning. An amazing artist.
His life and passing are very significant to the world of jazz in general and the Hard Bop genre in particular. It's sad to see all the greats passing away and many like him who are irreplaceable.