The ignorance of SACD & DVD-A marketing idiots....

Let's see....how to make a new format fail...well:..

1. Make it cost more....so less people will buy the
discs....that way you won't be able to make up the R&D
in volume.

2. Make sure that it is either hard or costly for a
equipment manufacture to use the format in their gear.

3. And thank you DVD-A.....make the case a new/strange
size so that the case will not fit into most Buyer's
storage units/racks.

And please add any of your thoughts.... Am I unhappy with this all.....hell yes....both formats are better...and I have my favorite.... And thank you to the folks that developed these formats....but Sony and all you others...fire all of your marketing people...
whatjd
I like this little mini rant thread. My wife bought an Acura and it has a DVD-A player in it. I went to try and buy her some and the price was thru the roof. $20-$30 and up for a stinkin' CD? No wonder the music industry is in a turmoil. Even standard CD's cost $12 and up. Movies are $25 and hundred of millions to make. What makes them so proud of their music CD's? I too have a SACD player & love the sound quality. I'am just not going to fork out the kind of money to sustain a SACD library.
Whew, I feel better now.
-John
The Sony Blu-Ray player I have that plays SACD is a S580. Cheap and surprisingly good.

I'm a bit confused though (what else is new?). I have the player connected to my processor with a digital coax cable only. The processor shows "PCM." This is with a non-hybrid, SACD only disc (Jorma Kaukonen, "Blue Country Heart").

I called Sony support to find out how it was possible for SACD to be transmitted through a digital cable. Obviously, I didn't get a coherent answer . . . not that I really expected one. I honestly don't know what the person was trying to say. I don't think they did, either.

If anyone can explain what the deal is here, I would appreciate it. How can SACD go through a digital cable?
Ncarv, that's a current model, not one Sony released just after the introduction of SACD.
Yes, Unsound . . . SACD was out long before Blu-Ray. Did I misunderstand something?
The first few generations of Sony Blue Ray players were incapable of SACD playback.