The ignorance of SACD & DVD-A marketing idiots....

Let's see....how to make a new format fail...well:..

1. Make it cost more....so less people will buy the
discs....that way you won't be able to make up the R&D
in volume.

2. Make sure that it is either hard or costly for a
equipment manufacture to use the format in their gear.

3. And thank you DVD-A.....make the case a new/strange
size so that the case will not fit into most Buyer's
storage units/racks.

And please add any of your thoughts.... Am I unhappy with this all.....hell yes....both formats are better...and I have my favorite.... And thank you to the folks that developed these formats....but Sony and all you others...fire all of your marketing people...
whatjd
True, but when I'm copying a disc it is usually so that I can listen in the car or at work. The music in both cases is for background type listening
On less than top notch gear
Ncarv, Sony pretty much killed its own well-bred horse through multiple incompetencies. It's just like them to decide the carcass needs further flogging. But, as usual, who's still paying attention? ... A sliver of the audiophile population, which is a sliver of...
Bobschneider, thanks for the explanation. I thought that might be the case, but I didn't know it was possible.
I agree with those who say "Convenience Sells."
If the industry makes it convenient, a lot of people will buy it. If they make it convenient and good sounding at the same time, more folks like us will pay the premium for better quality sound.

To me, SACD and DVD-A never got off the ground as stand alone media formats and now it is too late. Computer audio is where the industry is going (convenient and good sounding). It will not be long before touch screen USB DAC's and satellite radio are the main source selections in automobiles. I will keep one CD/DVD-A player in my main system for my collection of CD's, and in the event I want to download hi-rez music to play on a physical disc (DVD-R). I suspect within a year, most of my listening will be through computer files and a USB DAC. It will not be long before we are downloading selections to a thumb drive and plugging that into our car players.