Have digital players improved

Anyone else notice that the last five years or so digital players have improved to a point where there equal to analog and without all the fiddle f---ing of the latter. It hasn't been simple or easy or inexpensive but it's been rewarding.
tmsorosk
I think digital has risen to the level of analog as long as it is a well sorted out system.

I grew up with tubes and turntables for the better part of my life and hated CDs when they first came out. Now it's all nostalgia for me and nothing more.

Yes, I can hear the difference from out in a hall as to whether of not a TT or CDP is playing but I think that is due to my memory being able to sort it out and it is nothing more than a romantic notion that compels me to listen. Even TVs were tubed in my days and that adds a lot of conditioning to what I thought was accurate sound. Being conditioned so makes me prefer, at first, analog to digital, but what I perceive to be the more accurate is digital.

I'm even willing to state that what I hear from a TT, though great sounding, is ever so slightly off the mark in terms of accuracy, like an overly warm tube would be in an amp: romantic at first blush but not accurate.

Its been a long time since I've heard a good TT rig but from what I remember, there is that instant background noise floor that comes across as dark grey instead of black and now that my ears are used to the silence between notes from a digital source, a TT is just that more noisy as to be noticeable so as to be a distraction. And, like tubes, if one were to change out an arm or cartridge there is an immediate difference that most anyone could tell which begs the question: where is/was the accuracy that is so highly touted?

If one can change the nature of playback by changing a cartridge (or tube) then the accuracy question is not really a question but is nothing more than a flavor or coloring that one prefers for the moment. And that I can do without.

I only say this from how I prefer to listen and not as any kind of knock on those who love the sound of TTs. This is nothing more than a rationalization of my listening preferences, in response the OPs question.

All the best,
Nonoise
It's about at least SEEMING smarter. Actually being smarter is something else altogether.
Well said Nonoise , both formats have there virtues, it's just a matter of which one we each prefer. There's a few here that just don't seem to see or respect that, and continue to troll the digital sites looking for a fight.
It's fruitless to say one is better than the other.

They are different and always will be different.

IMO digital has made greater advances in the last 10 years than vinyl has in the last 20 years.

But if forced to live with only one, I'll take my records.

YMMV