Best DAC for $500

Just starting assembling my HIFI system.

Speakers - Snell Type D's - Biwired
Amp - Sunfire 2 Channel
Pre Amp - Parasound

Almost all of my music, 20,000 plus songs, is on my PC. Listen to my music either via I Tunes or Windows Media Player.PC does NOT have an upgraded sound card.

Very diverse music listening, from Rap, to classical, to metal.

Trying to determine if my best move is an external DAC,and if so the best for my current set up. Or an upgrade at sound card.

Help appreciated
contact_bobt
Ditto the DACmagic/Pangea 100 combo...more inputs and outputs than most, and it sounds truly amazing (not recommended for USB but I don't use that feature anyway. If I did I'd maybe get the new "plus" version) shop around (although the P100 power supply is cheap new) for used stuff, and keep in mind how insane the digital world is now, and how at under 500 clams you can get some well massaged digits flowing around. DACs seem to be the "best bang for the buck" zone in hifi, and imagine what's going to be available in 3 or 4 more years.
Beresford TC-7520 Caimen,which is why they have none to sell here at moment.
I just picked up a Schiit Audio Bigfrost DAC. It was $449. +S/H with the USB option. I am VERY happy with it. If you don't want the USB feature it's only $349. and you can add the option later as they use a modular system.
Since I don't think it's been mentioned, I'll throw in the Peachtree Dac It, just for something more to consider. As has already been mentioned, there is a lot of good talk around regarding the Arcam rDac, the Schiit Bifrost, DacMagic, V-Dac II, etc.

They're all about the same with the exception of the their different sonic personalities. The trick is to find the one that you'll enjoy listening too.

Personally, I run an Emotiva XDA-1. I originally got it because it was a good deal and I needed a DAC. Since having gotten it, I've been able to compare it to a DacMagic, V-Dac II and rDAC and have stuck with the XDA-1 because it bested the other three in my system.

The next two that I want to try are the Peachtree and the Bifrost. I have high hopes for the Bifrost. The specs look really good on paper.