Best CD player under $5K?

Replacing Classe CDP-1 and CDT-1 in fully balanced config. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
bbybaudio
Hi Mrtennis, didn't mean to imply to anyone that I actually have Ric's OPPO, although I've considered getting it at some point. Currently I use a Ric Schultz-modified Behringer DEQ-2496 as a DAC. He modded the power supply, upgraded the DAC chip and completely reworked the analog output stage and it blew me away even though the mod cost was less than $350 at the time. But, I've gotten to know Ric by talking to him on the phone at various times for the past couple years and found him to be very forthcoming on all things audio. Although we've discussed the Oppo 95, what really got me going on it was reading the user reviews online. I've been in this hobby for 40 years and reading all that time. After you've been doing that for that long you do indeed begin to realize how to "read between the lines" on a lot of topics and I did notice something diffrent with these reviews: it was something of a 'there-are-rave-reviews-and-there-are-rave-reviews-and-then-there-are-reviews of-Ric's-Oppo-95' kind of thing, for me. As if folks just couldn't begin to imagine anything ever sounding better, at any price. You may not care to put all that much stock in that kinda thing, especially when it's coming from someone else, but after my time spent in this hobby I can say that that kind of thing does in fact really tend to stand out and catch your eye. But, I leave it to you, if you're interested, to take the reading of reviews from here.
The Cambridge Audio 840C is real steal at $1500. I had to spend many times that amount to find something better. The Cary Audio CD500 gets the thumbs up too but do budget for a decent power cord is third party feet to optimise it.
Hey Mrtennis, when it comes to tube-based CDP's I'm not necessarily the one to ask since I've always managed to do well by solid state (at least so far, anyway). Although I've considered tubes in the past for a variety of gear, for me it has not yet come down to purchasing any, so I have no direct comparisons there.
Hi Kiwi, I do indeed recall that the 840c turned lots of heads when it came out. But, what I later found that looked even more intriguing was Mr Sprey's (Mapleshade) mod for the DacMagic which is said to use the same DAC stage as the 840c. The mod provides what is likely a badly needed upgrade for the power supply (and the stock power supply looks to be only real criticism ever leveled at the 840c) and adds a better AC cord and vibration control as well. Looks like for $800 you can get what promises to offer sound that improves upon the, like you say, already excellent 850c. I have to wonder how good it would indeed sound hooked up to a good music server. I believe Mr. Sprey to be another one of those good modders, but I myself have only tried some of his wiring products (which I'm very happy with) and not his electronics yet.