The end of pono?

I've just heard that Neil Young has given an interview where he says that they have made a number of mistakes, gone through a number of CEO's, with him now acting as CEO, and that he woul like to get out of the hardware side of things. Aparrently just becoming a licencing authority, e.g.
"Pono Approved" product.

Also, I read that Pono will be releasing hi rez Beatles files. Really? And I thought that the most recent vinyl was cut from down sampled copies and that nobody at on the production side felt it mattered to have hi Rez copies.

Anybody know what is really going on?
raymonda
Neil Young and Pono will have their place in Audio history as Pioneers of High Res Lossless music players.
This is the crawling phase of High Res music players and acceptance.

It’s all about the continuation of creating a better more convenient source to reproduce recorded music.
Wow, glad most of you did not have input to Edison while he was working on sound recordings and reproductions. It took some time but eventually Edison produced the “Perfected Phonograph” with a wax cylinder that played about 3 minutes. Within 15 years, the public started buying in larger numbers phonographs and records from Edison. I was not around at that time but I have been involved with audio systems as Stereo was coming of age to replace monaural, yes I am that old, well I did start with electronics and music at a young age.

The hard core audiophiles did not like Stereo and the flood of recordings that used the ping pong effect to demonstrate the right/left channels and how Stereo recordings worked, provided you even had a two speaker stereo system, otherwise Stereo continued to sound monaural. Also, who is going to buy a Stereo record player / turntable, new preamp / amp, and another speaker? Not to mention the large investment already in mono recordings. Does any of this sound familiar to today’s audio? MP3s will give way to high res music players. As pioneers like Neil Young take the arrows eventually most all portable music players will be High Res music players.

The biggest event will be when Apple goes to High Res Lossless CD quality players in products. Apple purchased Beats to stream better quality music (and make money). For the last few years Apple has asked its labels and artists for high resolution content for its masters for the iTunes program. The likely biggest hold up for Apple is that the wireless Carriers do not want Apple to put the High Res chips in the phones because the capacity with Cellular networks can not handle the increase in data demand, and the consumer can not afford the price. Once the cost of Data and capabilities of the nation’s Cellular system expands, so will Lossless music players, and Apple will be out front with this NEW technology that by then is 10 years old (a guess).
Um.....Edison invented many things.....high rez portable players were out way before pono. Young invented hi rez portable players like Gore invented the internet.
"Once the cost of Data and capabilities of the nation’s Cellular system expands, so will Lossless music players, and Apple will be out front with this NEW technology that by then is 10 years old (a guess)."

Its already been out for years. iTunes can play high resolution files using the ALAC Codex. I think WAV supports high res, as well.
Edison also believed that DC was the way to go and fried an elephant in public with AC to prove his "point."

Tesla was the true genius engineer and scientist, Edison was a lay tinkerer who knew nothing about physics. Why he gets so much airplay is an injustice of history.
Edison was not a scientist, or all that good of an engineer. He had no formal training, so he stumbled around in the design process a lot. When he would realize that he couldn't do what needed to be done, he went out and tried to find scientists and engineers. Sometimes he would pay them to solve the problem, and sometimes he would just walk off with the ideas he saw.

But he was an admirable inventor for the sole reason that, like a bull dog, once he latched into something he would pursue it to the end. He was a very obsessive and compulsive person. I've seen this many times in my life, and those types of people usually end up being "the winners". Didn't he say "innovation is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"? Edison perspired a lot. He often dabbled in things that were over his head, academically.

So he didn't really "invent" a lot of things that are attributed to him... he just tinkered around and refined things to make them manufacturable and bring them to market.