I gotta laugh at myself, big time

You know, I didn't jump into the higher end of audio until 5 years ago. I have spent most of my 56 years listening to my music through 'okay' setups, thinking of myself as frugal.

Then, in 2009, my 23 year old Denon CD player started to have a 'skipping' issue. So, that opened the flood gates, and the money started to flow in audio.

The results have shown me my response to the time worn question, should someone concentrate their money on the electronics or the speakers when first starting out? I have found that putting the lion's share into electronics is my suggested route. Generally speaking, speakers will come and go like girlfriends, but solid high quality electronics make the foundation for the longterm.

I have to laugh at myself, and the money I have spent in the last few years, at where I am now. I have gone through the usual merry-go-round that we go through with purchasing what we hope will get us to a sound that we truly enjoy. I have had a pair of Vienna Acoustics Strauss, two pairs in fact, in the last 3.5 years. I really enjoy them, but they are too dark sounding for my ears. I really like them, but they are too dark to 'get me there'. I started in 2009 with a pair of Paradigm S6s, went to a pair of Klipsch Lascalas, Volti Audio V1s, Vienna Acoustic Strauss, Zu Audio Essence, back to another pair of VA Strauss with upgraded crossovers. I then realized that I have been really impressed by how much I enjoy the sound of my laptops very clear sound. So, I just purchased a pair of Yamaha NS-1000Ms. I love them, and they only cost $900, not $9000.

This hobby has definitely been a comedy of errors and successes. Over these 5 years I have purchased very good electronics. Currently, I am now 'in love' with a pair of $900 speakers, which are backed up by $20,000 of electronics. Who knows, I may fall out of love with my new Yamma, but the Yammy wouldn't be anything with out the electronics--cables and sub included.

I just thought I would share my current reflection with you, and perhaps you might share a bit of your's with me.

Thank you, Dale
128x128dalecrommie
Interesting, Foster_9. I also own a Yamaha AS2000, having previously owned all kinds of stuff, going back to 1972 (Scott/AR/KLH), and have never been happier. Using with Tannoy Turnberry. Immediately previous amp/preamp was Pass XA-30.5/XP-10. Many, many before that: McIntosh MC-275, MA6900, Cary, Manley, etc.
It's true, we can wander all over the place in this hobby. I started with a pair of Paradigm Sig S6 as the OP did, but instead of going through the speaker merry-go-round, I started on an electronics merry-go-round, but quickly got off!

But I did find that I could tweak the sound with different things, and after buying a few used speakers to compare, realized I did like the paradigms, I just needed to tweak the sound. They seemed at first too bright, but after swapping in other electronics, I realized my Emotiva gear was too bright/forward for the Signatures. I got some Parasound Halo gear, and found that with good interconnects and speaker cable, got the Paradigms to warm up to the point of almost being too warm! I could add some silver IC's to brighten things up, but first thought I'd try to complete the IC chain with Morrow Audio, as I only need one more pair to complete the chain.

I've also experimented with integrated(used) amps from harman kardon, onkyo and two from NAD. Mostly now, I buy used bookshelves for 50-75 bucks. It's surprising what good stuff you can get for cheap if you have good timing. Sell it for the same when you're done with it, I think there is quite a community of traders out there.