$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1

Ccryder,

And when you finally buy a good turntable, you will really know what you have been missing. Then it’s off to buy vinyl!

Mrkidknow,

>>Have you ever seen this list of recordings before?<<

Yes.

>>Arthur Salvatore can be pretty controversial…<<

Yes, that he is. You might want to contrast Arthur’s style with how Twl views the world.

Personally, I don’t subscribe to audio gurus or follow the Ten Commandments as prescribed by TAS, Stereophile, or others, although Twl and Dougdeacon are two people I listen to before making any audio buying decision. But the operative word here is, “listen,” and not follow blindly. We still must use our ears and our own experiences in choosing the components that will make up our system. It always surprises me how many people abdicate that responsibility to others, asking them to make all the decisions for them so they might have a SOTA system without having worked for it.

In some cases it’s not possible to hear a component befor buying it. In such cases, it makes sense to read the audio press and to gather the opinions of others. But even that entails homework. Before I posted my initial question on this bulletin board, I had already spent six months analyzing my needs and narrowing my choices. All I needed was a little help to get unstuck, and I got it with Twl and Dougdeacon’s assistance. Without having spent months wrestling with the issue of which turntable to buy, I would not have had the "ears to hear" the advice that has been so graciously given me.

The Denon/Koetsu combination was good enough to encourage me to pursue vinyl with invigorated enthusiasm so the combination must not have been that bad. If you read my last post on this subject, the one I addressed to Doug, you will see my views on the strengths and weaknesses of the system I had the pleasure of hearing. Was this system state of the art? No. Am I looking for the very best system that money can buy? Again, the answer is no. So, yes, the Denon sounded pretty good to me. It cost about $650 and is the current top-of-the line model from that company. But what you should be asking yourself is how good does your current turntable sound to you and how best can you improve it within an acceptable budget?

I have a slightly different question for the group, one that involves the analog front end, but has not been discussed until now -- preamps. I am talking about affordable phono stages, ones costing $2,000 or less. Does anyone have a favorite they would like to share?

I am currently looking at three models in addition to perhaps buying the phono stage for my current preamp, which, by the way, should be quite good:

1. GSP ERA Gold V with either the GSP Elevator or Bent Audio Mu step-us transformer.

2. K&K Audio SE Stereo Phono Kit.

3. Wright Sound Company WWP 200C with the WMT 100 Step-up Transformer.

So what do you all think? Comments? These preamps must be good enough for the Shelter 501 and ZYX Fuji.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
Atar1, if you can stretch your budget a bit more, there currently is a used Aesthetix Rhea phono stage being offered for sale on Audiogon for $2700. At its $4000 retail price, the Rhea is a superb phono stage. If you can buy one used at a price you're willing to live with, it would be a great phono stage choice, and would exceed any of the other likely competitors. (Note: I don't know anything about this seller.)
I'll second Rushton, I love my Rhea! Bought mine used on A'gon as well and at about the same price point.