$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1

Flg2001,

Yes, the Denon 103R is a very popular cartridge, one used by several of the people who have posted here. Can't go wrong with that unit.

Hey Letch,

It’s only money, right? That’s what I keep telling myself! Hang in there!

Not to make matters worse for you, have you seen the Redpoint tables? They are breathtaking to say the least.

I know that money will not be the final arbiter in you situation. Sonic performance and aesthetics are important to us both, right? I don’t think it will be a tie. I don’t know why I say that, but I think once you see the top-of-the-line Galibier, you won’t be satisfied with anything else! I know that feeling well. And I bet you’re going have trouble sleeping once you have made your decision. That’s how it is with me. Man I need help. I think I’ll go to AA – Audiophiles Anonymous! “Hi, my name is Artar1…

Also remember that you will need to do finishing work with the Teres if you were to buy the 245 or 255. But you could always by the Cocobolo model! Yeah! That’s the ticket.

Hold me back! Only thirteen big ones for a used La Luce, why sign me up now! What’s 13K, anyway? (That’s more than I spent for my daughter when I bought her a used 2001 Beetle.)

So let your brother buy the Linn. Wait until he sees your Galibier/Teres. He’s going to be green with envy for sure. Man I bet he dumps the Linn or tells you have lousy your rig sounds. Is he older or younger than you?

>>And again, for people like him the magazines plant certain ideas that, as with most people, turn into opinions.<<

You know I have a similar problem, but I try not to let them become strong opinions! : - )

It’s really hard not be influenced by the so-called experts, especially when one cannot see and hear the equipment firsthand. You are very fortunate that you will at least get a chance to see both units before you make a decision, but you won’t be able to hear either one within the context of you own system.

>>We all desire to know things, and as I've seen too often on the 'asylum, confuse second-hand anecdotal evidence as knowledge.<<

Damn, that sounds like me; I had better clean up my act right away. : - )
As I always say, “Others are entitled to my opinion.” Wait a minute, that didn’t come out right. Let me start again. “The opinions of others find their genesis in my well-formed advice.” Oops. Well, you know what I mean?

Unfortunate, first hand experience comes very slowly. It’s not easy to arrange for meaningful auditions of the very equipment we would like to buy. My preference is to ready about this equipment extensively in the press, if it’s available, and as well as online. Then I like to listen to the piece or pieces in the dealer’s showroom. And finally, I like to bring the unit home for testing in my own system. But that’s not always possible either. Finally, I like to listen to live, unamplified music to refresh my memory with what “real” music sounds like.

In this vein, it sounds like you have really done your homework and are ready to listen to your “very short list” of candidates. I think you are doing a great job and will be rewarded with a really hot deck.

>>I have come to respect {Twl’s] views through reading a large number of his posts, and think that he tends to give a very balanced and thorough views without trying to push an ulterior motive.<<

I agree totally. Twl is more objective than Michael Fremer.

>> Some people want to push a certain approach or product as if it's the only way in their "expert" voice.<<

I just hate that, don’t you? When I give advice I try to place it in context to what I perceive the person is asking, not from some hidden agenda of my own. If I don’t know, I simply say so.

>>However, in the end it is my responsibility to sift and sort the data, and come up with my own decision and the accountability of a mistake resides solely with me.<<

I agree. It also helps that when it comes to analog I am not hyper-picky. There are many turntables and tonearms that I could be completely happy with, many of which I cannot afford, however. For me it’s not so much about knowledge of the external world, but knowledge and experience of the inner landscape of my own being. If I come to experience my own inner process without judgment and the preconceived ideas of others, I am more likely to make the right choice, one that fulfills both my mind and heart.
Artar1 - Have you heard the 103g (gold)?, I do think it is the only up-scale cart besides my 103r (copper) from that model line, just courious....

Fernando

Flg2001,

In all honesty, I have not heard the Denon 103G. Is it similar to the 103D? My first cartridge will be the Shelter 501 II. I am very sure about that decision. I am still working out the turntable/tonearm combination.

In all of our discussions, not much has been said about mass-loaded tables versus sprung or suspended tables. The suspended table may have an advantage over the mass-loaded design, especially in the area of handling acoustic feedback and being more airy and rhythmically nimble, if that’s true.

Obviously the Teres is a mass-loaded table, as is the Acoustic Signature Final Tool, which Raul likes very much. The Teres uses acrylic/wood, and the Final Tool uses soft aluminum. Both tables have received good reviews: reviews of the Teres have been testimonials online while the Final Tool has received two “professional” write-ups.

Currently I am looking at both tables, and will compare and contrast them shortly in another post. The Teres is more aesthetically appealing while the Final Tool may be more robust, although it does use an AC rather than a DC motor. This difference I find interesting, but not too significant.

I am also looking at two other turntables from Origin Live that no has talked about so far – the Resolution Modern and the Aurora Gold. Both have received outstanding reviews. Michael Fremer really likes the Resolution Modern, and subsequently it was awarded a Class B rating in Stereophile, while the Aurora Gold has been reviewed with much praise by Hi-Fi+ and Stereotimes.

So the field of turntables has certainly widened while my choice of cartridge has been narrowed to just the Shelter, which shouldn’t surprise anyone still reading this thread. I have also narrowed the tonearm choice between two Origin Live offerings – the Encounter, which Fremer likes, and Illustrious, which has also received good reviews. Any other tonearm I have considered is either too expensive or does not seem to perform as well as either of these two from OL when a low compliance cartridge is considered. When I get the chance, I intend to share what the critics are saying about these two decks.