$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1

Flg2001,

In all honesty, I have not heard the Denon 103G. Is it similar to the 103D? My first cartridge will be the Shelter 501 II. I am very sure about that decision. I am still working out the turntable/tonearm combination.

In all of our discussions, not much has been said about mass-loaded tables versus sprung or suspended tables. The suspended table may have an advantage over the mass-loaded design, especially in the area of handling acoustic feedback and being more airy and rhythmically nimble, if that’s true.

Obviously the Teres is a mass-loaded table, as is the Acoustic Signature Final Tool, which Raul likes very much. The Teres uses acrylic/wood, and the Final Tool uses soft aluminum. Both tables have received good reviews: reviews of the Teres have been testimonials online while the Final Tool has received two “professional” write-ups.

Currently I am looking at both tables, and will compare and contrast them shortly in another post. The Teres is more aesthetically appealing while the Final Tool may be more robust, although it does use an AC rather than a DC motor. This difference I find interesting, but not too significant.

I am also looking at two other turntables from Origin Live that no has talked about so far – the Resolution Modern and the Aurora Gold. Both have received outstanding reviews. Michael Fremer really likes the Resolution Modern, and subsequently it was awarded a Class B rating in Stereophile, while the Aurora Gold has been reviewed with much praise by Hi-Fi+ and Stereotimes.

So the field of turntables has certainly widened while my choice of cartridge has been narrowed to just the Shelter, which shouldn’t surprise anyone still reading this thread. I have also narrowed the tonearm choice between two Origin Live offerings – the Encounter, which Fremer likes, and Illustrious, which has also received good reviews. Any other tonearm I have considered is either too expensive or does not seem to perform as well as either of these two from OL when a low compliance cartridge is considered. When I get the chance, I intend to share what the critics are saying about these two decks.
I had an Aurora Gold here for audition about a year ago. I used my own arm and cartridge on it, and also an Encounter arm, a Shelter 501, and a DL103R, and a Music Maker II.

IMO, it did not even compare to my Teres in sound quality, or build quality. I sent it back. I've never tried the OL Resolution table.

I have had suspended-chassis turntables such as Linn, and others, and have worked on alot of others at the shop I worked at. Listened to most of the other brands too, over a long time. I once liked the suspended designs, but have come to feel that the unsuspended designs are more to my liking.

There are some inherent problems with suspending a belt-drive turntable on springs, due to the suspension interacting with the drive system, in a bad way. In addition, while the suspension may help with some floorborne vibrations, it does nothing for airborne vibrations.

Funny as it may sound, my(no longer with me) Linn LP12 suspended turntable was far worse with footfalls and floorborne vibrations, than my current Teres is. Funny because the suspension system is supposed to isolate the TT from floorborne vibrations and footfalls. The Linn used to dance all over the place, even when I tip-toed, and the Teres stays rock-solid, and has no audible or visible effects at all, even when I have my big Rottweiler jumping around in front of the TT.
Artar1 - never heard a Shelter cart myself, but I am sure you are in the right track based on others opinions.

Fernando
Artar1 - My experience with tables is not as large as some others, I have had Linn (LP12 and Axis), Michel Gyro, Rega P3 and VPI HW19MKIV (current), as you can see those have a different suspension approach.

I have heard Acoustic Signature tables and sound fantastic, but not the Teres line. I feel keen towards mass loaded tables with proper shelves to control resonances (Nuance, Bright Star, Ginko, etc..), I am considering this tables, and would like to share the list with you:

1.- Avid (Diva or Volvere)
2.- Acoustic Solid (Check ETM coverage by S. Rochlin)
3.- The Bixx table (with optional battery PS)
4.- Wilson Benesch Act1

Unfortunatly I have added more variables to the equation instead of making it simple, but I think you are on time to pick and choose the best for you.

Fernando
I have not heard the last two odf this list, please keep that in mind.