Clearaudio Master Reference vs. Basis Debut V ??

Need purchase advice on which of these two to go with. Am intrigued, yet concerned with the tangential arms on the Clearaudio- the TQ-1 2000 arm is $3k ; the Master TQ-1 arm is newer, bigger and stupid expensive @ $6k. Is this new arm magic or nonsense ? Would use Graham 2.2 on Basis, which would, btw, be the vacuum model. The Graham arm seems to be almost universally praised, while getting a consensus opinion on the Souther tangential arms is far more difficult. Any 1st hand advice would be greatly appreciated.
fbhifi
Fbhifi- I recently went through the same dilemma. Ultimately, I decided on the Basis with the Graham. Turntables require more effort on the user's part, even with the most reliable and user-friendly tt systems. Regardless of their performance when everything is just perfect, the TQ arms can be quite frustrating in less than ideal situations. I wanted an arm that would work day-in, day-out with very little additional TLC. In the end, the vacuum holddown and the Graham arm/cartridge combo were the primary reasons for my decision. However, there is certainly no denying that the CMR is one beautiful tt. Either way, how could you lose? Good luck.
Jcbtubes-- thanks for the post, under what condition(s) do you think the TQ arms would be problematical ? I have a basement room w/ no windows or ventilation system- i.e. very little dust. I'm also really trying to figure out if the new MASTER TQ-1 arm has solved any of the common TQ arm problems, or is just an overpriced object d'art.
I wish I could offer an experienced suggestion. As for beauty, the Clearaudio is the winner in my mind. I'm also influenced by the Clearaudio's linear tracking concept. My (current) reference turntable uses that technology and produces the best sound I have ever had.

I leave for CES on Monday, and will be visiting the Clearaudio / Basis room. Both are now represented by Musical Surroundings, the same people who do Record Research, Benz, Graham and Koetsu to name a few.

One of my best friends has an old Versa Dynamics and is looking for a new table. Since he too prefers linear tracking, I am already on task to discover all I can about this product during this show. If you can wait one week, I may be able to shed some light on this subject.
A few people have emailed me on my previous Clearaudio forum comments, so I will share further experiences here.

I have the same gut feeling as Albert on the linear tracking concept. I use the Clearaudio Reference with TQ1 rather than the Master table and arm. And I too had trouble with the TQ1 trackability issue early on as I wrote in other chat forums here.

My experience is that the TQ1 arm just shows poor tracking cartridges a little more than other arms. I had a Benz Glider on a Linn LP12 and even though the Telarc Omnidisc test record showed the Glider to be a mediocre tracking cartridge, it worked fine in a Linn Ittok arm. The Grado Sonata and Sumikos before it all had much better tracking scores. But it was the Glider that I had when I got the TQ1 and thus the trouble started with the new (actually used) Reference/TQ1 setup. I tried some adjustments to the arm height and angle, and this helped, but there were still enough problems with the cartridge getting stuck near the inner-most grooves of LPs to make me try another cartridge.

I then switched to a Koetsu Rosewood Signature and not only did I have a whole new wealth of musicality, the tracking problem was instantly gone! No more getting stuck anywhere in the LPs. I can only assume that the TQ1 is more sensitive and thus more resolving .... and thus more unforgiving to cartridges that have not great tracking.

And I too came very close to going with a Versa Dynamics but now I am grateful I did not. As wonderful as they might have been in their time, I can only imagine the even more added headaches to get one of those up and running ... and on a continuous basis. For me the Clearaudio Reference/TQ1 combination with the Koetsu is so very wonderful. And as complicated as the TQ1 arm assembly is, I see how simple the travel is for the cartridge across an LP and this just makes me feel this is the way to go over a pivotal arm.

I have not heard a head-to-head comparison to any other table/arm combinations. This is always such a difficult thing to do. But what I had with the Glider in the Clearaudio setup was so far above with the Glider in the Linn setup. Resolution is in a different league altogether not to mention incredible low end extension now. It is not easy to know what traits are mainly due to the table or arm's performance but the combination is wonderful.

I too have heard of arm boards for other arms in the Clearaudio tables, but I can only assume synergy exists when you use their arm as well.

And one final note, I did order a plexiglas custom cover for the Reference table to keep out the dust and wondering hands and thus looks so very nice too. Contact me if you'd like to see a picture of this.

John