Linear tracking arms

Forgive my question,I am not an analog expert.If properly designed linear tracking arm is better why should we put up with lesser design? Or they are not compatible with most turntables and cartridges? Or difficult to make work?
Will you educate me on the subject.
inna
My Sony PS X800 turntable has a linear tracking arm, and I guess it works a bit different from ones described above.

The arm is pivoted (so there is no jaring sideforce when the arm lowers to the record, or at any other time) but the pivot point is moved as the record plays. Arm movement is biased to the speed needed for nominal groove spacing, and then adjusted up or down as necessary to follow variable groove spacing, according to the measured angle of the pivoting arm. The system suposedly regulates tracking angle within 0.05 degree (for the entire record).

Sorry about it being a Sony, but the damn thing works great.
Hi Eldartford, is your linear arm a Sony? Your description might also indicate a Pierre Lurne/Audiomeca SL5 arm, unless I am wrong. In any case, the SL5, at only a fraction of the price of the big names, and also works well.
Leep...Yes, the arm is part of the Sony PS X800 turntable system. It does not surprise me that some other linear tracking arm is mechanized in this way because it makes a lot more sense than trying to create a frictionless air bearing.
Terminator T3Pro is the culmination of this path of Evolution.
You can also buy refurbished used arms from the maker himself.
They all work like dream if correctly adjusted. I´ve abandoned my SME years ago and will never buy another pivoted or alike arm again. For me Terminator & Reso-Mat is the very best buy in hi-fi in 2 decades ! Their are also VERY reasonable priced. Go for them and you will never regret. Just enjoy.
Cheers
I totally concur the T3Pro is one of the best buys in Audio, I have owned, Signet, Rega, Rega modded, Vpi, and now the T3 I bought the original and have upgraded when Vic comes out with them, I have never had any ubusual cartridge wear, it is easy to set up and use and sounds just amazing, no coloration at all!