Decca cartridge experiences

I really don't expect any response to this as the issue of Deccas, and all the controversies they stirred up is now passé, but does anyone out there own and use a Decca, and if so, did you find a tonearm which will accomodate it? I'd appreciate it if anyone shared their experiences with it, good or bad. I've found two tonearms in which it will work well: one a Mayware tonearm in which it works superbly, and one a Maplenoll air-bearing 'table with fluid damping trough, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this combo to work again (I've only recently re-acquired the Maplenoll)...I'll have to fiddle with viscosity, amount of fluid and so on.

To all those who haven't had a chance to hear this cartridge, and who like to experiment and have fun (and tear their hair out), then a Decca still has the most slam of any cartridge, and retrieves an incredible amount of detail from the groove. Though these days it no longer sells for pocket change (the Super Gold goes for $850, but there are cheaper models), it's still not in the stratosphere like so many others. It is dificlt to find a tonearm which will accomodate it as well.

I'd appreciate as well any experiences with the new versions, as I hear the new stylus profile makes it less difficult. I think the responses will be "0", but any cartridge which stirred up this much controversy (at least a while ago) is Good News, like the Shelter (which is far more accomodating, however)...Thank you for your attention, if any attention there is...
johnnantais
Oh boy, I had to jump in!!! Yes, I remember this cartridge! I had two..(the London Gold). They were fabulous!!!! I connected the wires (3) and left the forth one just suspended. I had no problems with hum?? I was using a Formular 4 arm. This question sparked some curiousity....I may look for a used Decca soon. I am wondering if it would mate with my VPI 10.5??
Also, what is the best way to deal with the 4th tonearm cable?? Do you let it float like I did??
The Decca works well (I think best of all) in unipivot tonearms, so it should work a treat in your VPI arm: please let us know how this works out on this thread, as personally I would love to know. And make it a detailed review! Do VPI make any sort of damping available for their tonearm, as this too helps? As to wiring, you'll just have to experiment, as it behaves differently in different set-ups. I own a four-pin Decca, and I have used three-pin Deccas by simply transfering them to my four-pin bracket. Food for thought: buy any four-pin Decca you can get cheaply even if broken, just to get that four-pin mounting bracket. Have fun and good luck!
They're hidden in closets, basements and drawers all over the world, but people aren't even aware of them, more's the pity. If I find a stash, I'll post it on this website. But the new Decca Super Golds have an improved stylus profile, four pins, and can come factory-installed with Decapods, which is why I was hoping someone had experience of these, before I dive in. And then there's the Jubilee and cheaper versions as well. Some prefer the conical stylus of the Maroon, which I haven't tried, only having tried the Gold and the Super Gold, which sounded pretty much the same in my rig, VdH stylus notwithstanding. A new Maroon might be a possibility after all.
I still have my Deccas - a Maroon and an original Garrott Bros Decca Gold. The Garrott rebuild was just fantastic. I now use an Allaerts MC1-B which is more subtle, less slam, sweeter at the top end and tracks sooo much better.

I used my Deccas on a Hadcock 228. Back in the 80s when the Deccas were more in vogue, most people used them in unipivots. I used to sell them in the UK when I worked with a much younger Ken Kessler.

By the way, although the Garrott Bros were killed in an accidenet almost 20 years ago, the firm is back in action with rebuilds reputedly to the same standard. Won't be as cheap (mine was 65 GBP in the early 80s!)