Decca cartridge experiences

I really don't expect any response to this as the issue of Deccas, and all the controversies they stirred up is now passé, but does anyone out there own and use a Decca, and if so, did you find a tonearm which will accomodate it? I'd appreciate it if anyone shared their experiences with it, good or bad. I've found two tonearms in which it will work well: one a Mayware tonearm in which it works superbly, and one a Maplenoll air-bearing 'table with fluid damping trough, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this combo to work again (I've only recently re-acquired the Maplenoll)...I'll have to fiddle with viscosity, amount of fluid and so on.

To all those who haven't had a chance to hear this cartridge, and who like to experiment and have fun (and tear their hair out), then a Decca still has the most slam of any cartridge, and retrieves an incredible amount of detail from the groove. Though these days it no longer sells for pocket change (the Super Gold goes for $850, but there are cheaper models), it's still not in the stratosphere like so many others. It is dificlt to find a tonearm which will accomodate it as well.

I'd appreciate as well any experiences with the new versions, as I hear the new stylus profile makes it less difficult. I think the responses will be "0", but any cartridge which stirred up this much controversy (at least a while ago) is Good News, like the Shelter (which is far more accomodating, however)...Thank you for your attention, if any attention there is...
johnnantais
No...the servos that I heard were in New Jersey and were owned by the great Jim Foley. He had a magnificent set up and a wonderful ear for listening. What a great experience that was!!!
Tbg, I went to this particular Tjoeb website, http://www.hifi-notes.com/ah1-en.htm, where I posted my request for info. A man called Herman contacted me, we worked out our order (mine was for two arms for me and one for a friend), which came to a total of 110 euros cash (very small profit, if any) for payment and shipment, registered mail. It took about two weeks. I have to say that on auditioning it sounded quite punchy, balanced and detailed with a Grado Woody, but it will definitely benefit from a re-wiring job which I will do presently. In the process I discovered that my Audiomeca's main bearing is shot. Time for a new 'table!
I think my Decca needs an overhaul, having that difficult VdH stylus profile which may now be worn. The Decca International, a damped unipivot, is in the same ball park as my Maywayre damped unipivot for extracting performance from the Decca. Strangely enough, I mounted my Grado Platinum on it and it has never sounded better. In fact, it reminded me quite a lot of the Decca on this arm! The Decca International majors on Prat, seems good from the frequency extremes to the mid-range, making everything very musical. Last night I said "the hell with re-wiring, I'm just going to enjoy my records!" There is a tweak available right away for the Decca tonearm. I had ordered a replacement metal headshell for my Connoisseur BD1's plastic headshell years ago, and so immediately recognized the headshell. I tried the metal headshell and it fit perfectly. Also, the plastic plug can be glued into the tonearm tube with glass epoxy, which should be a significant imporvement, and if the metal headshell is an improvement over the plastic headshell (you never know with a Decca), I will report on this. I ordered two tonearms, so I can compare a stock arm, (the one which had me mesmerized already last night), to a re-wired arm, which if it is an improvement, I will eventually totally mod as I've described. The place to order the metal headshell is Technical and General in England, which can only be done by phone or mail.
Johnnantais, I have a Jubilee on the way because of you and others reminding me of the Deccas. There is an English firm that has new wiring for the Decca International. I had forgotten the crappy headshell.

Try a Garrard tt!
Johnnantais
get your Decca rebuilt by Garrot Brothers. I have an original Garrott Bros Decca and it is much better tha the standard. Following the Brothers' tragic death in the 80s, the tooling was retained and is now used by their surviving partner.
The Garrott rebuild included checking and adjusting the cantilever suspension and other important mechanical matters as well as a retip. If you need details, you can get a price from GT Audio in the UK.