Decca cartridge experiences

I really don't expect any response to this as the issue of Deccas, and all the controversies they stirred up is now passé, but does anyone out there own and use a Decca, and if so, did you find a tonearm which will accomodate it? I'd appreciate it if anyone shared their experiences with it, good or bad. I've found two tonearms in which it will work well: one a Mayware tonearm in which it works superbly, and one a Maplenoll air-bearing 'table with fluid damping trough, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this combo to work again (I've only recently re-acquired the Maplenoll)...I'll have to fiddle with viscosity, amount of fluid and so on.

To all those who haven't had a chance to hear this cartridge, and who like to experiment and have fun (and tear their hair out), then a Decca still has the most slam of any cartridge, and retrieves an incredible amount of detail from the groove. Though these days it no longer sells for pocket change (the Super Gold goes for $850, but there are cheaper models), it's still not in the stratosphere like so many others. It is dificlt to find a tonearm which will accomodate it as well.

I'd appreciate as well any experiences with the new versions, as I hear the new stylus profile makes it less difficult. I think the responses will be "0", but any cartridge which stirred up this much controversy (at least a while ago) is Good News, like the Shelter (which is far more accomodating, however)...Thank you for your attention, if any attention there is...
johnnantais
What kind of hole does the Decca International need? I wonder about mounting the Decca on my Garrard 501.
Tbg, Garrard 501! I'm a total idler-wheel convert (well, almost total, as the classic 3-point suspension does give excellent Prat): please send me your impressions re. build and sound quality, as well as price! I have just mounted my Decca International, with every friction-fit glued with glass epoxy and re-wired with my favourite formulation, and I am pleased to report that the Decca's excellent Prat (perhaps the best I've heard) is intact, and that there was a consequent increase in control and detail at all frequencies. The arm is "forward," however, with everything moved up in your face, but it still layers the soundstage and so forth, and that Prat is addictive! It's now set up permanently in my own idler-wheel creation, currently set up with a Grado so I can have a reference when I test it in someone's high-end system tonight. I'll be trying the Decca cartridge after the test (early impressions being that EXTREME dynamics which made me fear for my tweeters). The tonearm mounting hole is 1 1/8", and the stylus to pivot point is 8 3/8". I do believe that the Mayware (which was actually an attempt at re-creating the Decca to more stringent engineering standards), is a better arm overall for the Decca cartridges, as it has higher (variable) mass, but I wouldn't want to bet on this (as the Decca tonearm has that cool magnetic suspension). I don't think I'll ever make this comparison, as I'm happy with the Decca where it currently sits, and so I'll mount the Mayware on another 'table, and then compare. Happy listening!
Ah, yes, extreme dynamics! I remember it well! I think I am just going to mount the Jubilee on the Schroeder as I already own it, and Frank Schroeder says he has close friends using Deccas on it. With the decline of the dollar, the Loricraft/Garrard 501 is over $20k!