Equipment Set-up Recommendations?

Hi Folks:
I recently installed an air-bearing linear tracking tonearm (the MG-1). Table and cartridge are Teres 255 and ZYX Airy 3x-sb low output. Generally, I'm thrilled with the setup, but I find that when I walk around the room, the cartridge can jump, which is very disconcerting.

When I switch to the OL Silver arm I have, such jumping does not seem to occur, so I'm guessing the MG-1 is more sensitive. All my equipment is supported with the double rack, which may also be a variable to consider - I have my Teres on top - about 40 inches above the ground.

Anyway, I'd welcome any input or insight that migth provide me with a more stable, isolated listening environment where my cartridge won't jump (how bad is that for the cartridge anyway - should that be considered an emergency, or is it pretty common/not-a-big-deal? I've inquired about getting a Gingko platform, which may or may not help. Ideally, I'd like to keep the Teres on top of the rack, as it looks great, is highly accessible, and I don't want to take up more realestate with a seperate Teres stand, if I don't have to.

Anyway, any input and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John.
128x128outlier
Loyd is only part right. the tt is moving in two planes both horizontal and vertical. Consider two vectors forming a 90 dgree angle. the resulting vector is 45 dgrees causing the rack to lean. In the case of foot falls as your weight is applied to the floor it sags toward the middle because it is anchored in both the vertcial and horizontal plane. anchoring it to the wall would only eliminate horizontal motion. Unless of course you have created what is essetially a wall mount by making a wall anchor strong enough to restrict the motion in both planes.

No engineers were killed in making this explanation.
Hi John,

the first thing to bear in mind with any TT/tonearm is that the rig has to be perfectly stable - if it is subject to footfalls then it will be very sensitive to feedback which may not be immediatly obvious, however it will adversly affect your sound. So it's clearly critical to have the TT on a stable platform. If you check out http://www.theanalogdept.com/ you'll see pictures of Teres TT's on wall mounts so if you mount the wall mount properly that will overcome the footfall problem.

Now I dont understand why you should have any difference between the MG-1 and the rega in terms of skipping. DO you have the same down force on each arm? You need a gauge to measure down force - a small digital balance is the easiest to use - it would appear that with the rega you have enough down force to compensate for the instability in the stand, - the downfoce needs to be set for the cartidge - first by the manufacturers specs, and then fine tuned by listening. Dont be twmpted to add downforce to stop it skipping - this will wear out your records and your cartidge and it will not sound at it's best.

Hope this helps

Andy (happy MG-1/Teres 255 user)
Hi Guys:
Thanks for the extra input. All good thoughts. I'll do a little more experimenting over the weekend and see can I dial in settings, levelling and support a bit more. Also, because this is a double stand (supported on six cones), I may try supporting it on just four cones (eliminating the center ones). I called Adona and received this tip - which sounds like a good one. That should make the effective weight at each of the four supports 50% heavier on average, if my reasoning is correct.

Also, Ada, thanks for the good instructions on optimizing the setup. I believe I have the leveling jsut right, althoguh I haven't applied the methodology you suggest above, which should provide me with better accuracy.

Also, for folks who've suggested adding more mass to the stand, the stand itself weights 230lb, which is pretty beefy in my books as is ;-) The platforms of the rack are granite with some type of substane underneath - looks like some concoction of MDF and tar or something? Anyway, supposed to proved close to flat frequency response.

Anyway, will keep you posted. So many of the above commets are invaluable. Thanks guys.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1007012846
for a corner mount look at this installation by fellow audiogoner BWHITE
Ever since I broke my leg, I find a wheelchair solves the problem and is cheaper.