Empire Turntables New in Box-Worth Anything?

I just found out that the guy I am friends with-his father- owned Empire Scientific in Grden City, NY.
What gear should I look for and what do you think it is worth if new in a box over used gear...
I know he has carts, tables, and arms.

Thanks for your help.
John
exoticaudio.org
whatugot
I am interested in an Empire 598 that is being sold by audio junkie that builds his own amps and speakers. He is going through it to make sure that it is working properly. What concerns do I have to be aware of and what would be a good asking price?

Thanks for your help.
The two main things to watch out for are availability of drive belts and a poor condition phono cable. The phono cable mates to the arm with a funky and unique connector I was never able to find anywhere else. If that craps out, I think you'd have to directly connect the tone arm harness to a cable. Belts are also hard to find. I was able to find a couple of them in a small stereo repair stores old inventory. Oh yeah, another thing. Make sure the headshell cartridge mounting plate is there and in good shape.
I would take a 208 (or 398 and throw away the arm). It is a basic belt-drive TT with an excellent bearing, platter and motor. Belts can always be obtained or made.

Get two and I will make sure OUR TTs are tiptop. ;-)

Kal
Hi,

I just got a 398. A 398 is the same as a 208, except it comes with the spring-loaded 980 arm. There are two versions of the 980 arm - the original one, and a later arm that had anti-skating.

All Empire models that I'm aware of are belt drive.

Some prefer the early models, which had a much heavier platter than the later models.
Gregjcastro...Out of nostalga, I bid on one recently on EBay. I quit at $300...don't know what it finally went for.

The thing is very simple, and the belt and possibly the arm wiring are about all that can be a problem. Make sure that the arm bearings have not been damaged. (No looseness).

I replaced mine for two reasons. I wanted a linear tracking arm, and I wanted automatic set down as well as pickup of the arm. (I bought a Sony PS-X800).