ZYX RS20 vs Denon DL103

Hi,

I have currently using the DL103, would like to try out something, ZYX RS20 come to mind, I listen mostly Jazz & old pops LPs, would the ZYX better than teh DL103?

Any other suggestion? My budget is around US300-400.

thanks
koalaray
Hi Koalaray - lacking "body" is the one thing I wouldn't find wanting from the !03. Amandarae just beat me to the suggestion to try loading at 470 Ohms and take the VTF up to the recommended maximum of 2.5 grams.

The Zyx would give you more detail and resolution of soundstage but you would trade bass extension and, in comparison with the Denon, it is more neutral and analytical soudning.

My feeling is that a good cart should work on all kinds of music - otherwise it's limited or colored in some way!
Yes agree especially not all my LPs are Jazz, some are Pop/electornic as well. I did try to alter the load to 10K but never went down to 1K or even 500. I currently have the tracking force set to max. 2.5g. I tried it at about 2g, didn't like it so I set it back to 2.5g but then never tried 2.3g, maybe I should try it first.

I would rather find a cartridge that is musical than analytical.

Apart from ZYX, you think Grado "reference" Sontana is a good choice? it's in the same price range.
I just changed from a Grado Reference Sonata to a 103R. I was ready to sacrifice the Grado's lush midrange because I wanted a bit more upper range detail and a bit more bass. The 103R does provide the increased upper and lower ends I was looking for and it does so with engaging musicality. The big surprise was that the 103R's midrange gives very little away in musicality to the Grado! If I had a tonearm that allowed for headshell swaps I would definitely want to have both of these carts and switch between them. For now, though, the 103R is my cart of choice. Good luck.
Koalaray I've thought about this some more and am puzzled. I'm not familiar with your pre-amp but having searched online it should be doing a fine job for you so, other than trying the loading at 470 Ohms I would eliminate that as a source of the leannes.

As I said previously, I heard the 103R in a Schroeder Reference mounted on a Galibier Quattro Supreme and it sounded really awesome, so, in addition to cartridge loading, the possibilities are experimenting with lowering the VTA a little and if you can maybe try the Denon in a different arm on your table.

Two further thoughts, given the relatively high VTF and very low compliance, the Denon needs a good torquey motor driving the platter (time for a new belt?) You didn't mention your table so this might not be relevant. Finally, try experimenting with the mass/rigidity of the support that your table is standing on because this can make a huge difference.

So the bottom line is the Denon when matched with good synergy are capable of outstanding results - your challenge is to experiment systematically with all the other variables until you get more the sound you like.

I like the Grado carts (I have a Reference Gold myself) but because they track light and are higher compliance, it may not be a good match for your Grace (most of whose designs were mid to high effective mass for matching with moving coils). I personally find that it's hard to get the same sense of space and air with a moving magnet (yeah, ok, I know the Grados are moving iron).
Yes agree especially not all my LPs are Jazz, some are Pop/electornic as well. I did try to alter the load to 10K but never went down to 1K or even 500. I currently have the tracking force set to max. 2.5g. I tried it at about 2g, didn't like it so I set it back to 2.5g but then never tried 2.3g, maybe I should try it first.

I would rather find a cartridge that is musical than analytical.

Apart from ZYX, you think Grado "reference" Sontana is a good choice? it's in the same price range.