ZYX RS20 vs Denon DL103

Hi,

I have currently using the DL103, would like to try out something, ZYX RS20 come to mind, I listen mostly Jazz & old pops LPs, would the ZYX better than teh DL103?

Any other suggestion? My budget is around US300-400.

thanks
koalaray
Yes agree especially not all my LPs are Jazz, some are Pop/electornic as well. I did try to alter the load to 10K but never went down to 1K or even 500. I currently have the tracking force set to max. 2.5g. I tried it at about 2g, didn't like it so I set it back to 2.5g but then never tried 2.3g, maybe I should try it first.

I would rather find a cartridge that is musical than analytical.

Apart from ZYX, you think Grado "reference" Sontana is a good choice? it's in the same price range.
Hi all,

I did try to alter the Laoding from 47K all the way down to 10Ohms, I can hear little diff between 47K, 800Ohms and 100Ohms apart from a lower volume (the Gain is set at the same level). Anything lower than it is no good. The testing was done with the tracking force set at 2.3g as suggested by Amandarae. I found the sound is a bit thinner than setting it back to max. 2.5g. At 2.5g the sound is slightly thicker and shall I say more "body" per sa.

Flyingred just got me there, the belt! I actually noticed when I turn on the Pioneer TT, it's sort of slow to get up to speed, so maybe the belt has something to do with it. After all, the TT is made in the 70s.

I checked the Grace arm last night and is as parallel as the mat/platter, the only thing I'm uncertain is the anti-shaking, when I first bought the TT, it was set at 1 and I never changed as I couldn't find any info on the Grace F545 arm so not sure the factory recommended setting for that.

here is some pics taken last year, note that back end I still had the Monstercable Alpha 1 MC mounted onto the Pioneer. http://robogallery.blogspot.com

BTW, the TT is Pioneer PL-6 made in the 70s I think. The support I think is good enough for now as I have some anti-vibration thing out under the TT, I even tried to use my finger to knock the TT and I can hear no "hum" and the Denon never "skipped" the track while playing, so I guess the support is good enough for now?

One more thing to add, the TT is made in Japan so it takes 110V instead of 220V so I am using a power converter, not that that has another to do with it since TT doesn't really too cumsy about power....right?

Time to get a new belt and try out. Thanks all for yr help. Will keep you updated.

Cheers.
with a 47K load on my supratek Syrah, my denon 103R sounds like ass. Very thin sounding. Pushing this down to 100ohms makes it sound MUCH better. More body. I would look into upgrading turntables before upgrading cartridges. Even a Rega P3 with an Expressimo RB250 with Twl's hifi mod would be a GREAT match for that cartridge. I use the P25 - and it is able to let me just enjoy the music as opposed to analyzing what I don't like about the sound.
Koalaray, try lowering the pivot point a little if you can - usually a cart sounds best with the arm slight headshell high.

If this still doesn't give you the 'body' you want then suspect the arm wiring and the table. There have been massive improvements in resonance isolation over the last 20-30 years and I'm finding that quite modestly priced carts, like your Denon, sound fantastic in good modern arms on the latest tables.

For a low-cost, fun alternative join the 'Building a high end table at Home Despot' action by re-plinthing an old Lenco.