ZYX RS20 vs Denon DL103

Hi,

I have currently using the DL103, would like to try out something, ZYX RS20 come to mind, I listen mostly Jazz & old pops LPs, would the ZYX better than teh DL103?

Any other suggestion? My budget is around US300-400.

thanks
koalaray
Hello Koalaray,I have the high output version of the RS20,when will you recieve yours?I have only owned 3 cart. so i dont have a lot to compare the RS20 too,but im truly enjoying it!!Looking forward to hearing how you like yours,,,Ray
Hi Raytheprinter,

Mine is the High output, I was going to get the low output version (0.24mV) but they ran out of stock so I took the High output (0.48mV) which is really kind of Low output for other brand. I have an audio-tachnica AT33ML which is a low output (0.5mV) too.

I put the cartridge onto a Yamamoto HS-1A headshell made of African Black Ebony, that thing look amazingly stylist!. But I had hard time setting it up since the RS20 weight just 4.2g (old version, not RS20-02), had to put a longer screw and a bit blu-tap to make it 18g otherwsie I have problem balancing my arm. By the time I done all that, feed the cats & birds it was like 10pm already and I took 2 LP to try it out, Art Pepper - Going Home and George Winston
- Country.

I was impressed! The cartridge is dead silent compare to Benz Micro MC-Silver which I don't really like, it's a bit hi-fi and liveness, mabye that's the lowest model. The RS20 soundstage already comparable to my fully rrun-in AT33ML and the mid is slighly less than DL103 but DL103 is really made for the mids so to speak. I fully agree with other posters up there saying the RS20 is already very good in low volume, it was indeed when I listen to George WInston's Country, I can heard Mark Marshall's guitar in the background which I didn't relaised it was there as he played in low volume mixed with the drum. I was really amazed. I'm sure the RS20 will improve pretty much after 50-100hrs, I'm happy.

I was actually thinking of getting Benz Micro Gliber but due to budget constraint, I opted for ZYX instead as I used the Monstercable Aplha2 before but I broken the diamond and is quite $$$ to get it retip. I'm not sure how good Gliber is but there are some rave reviews on the Gliber, it may be in a diff league compare to RS20, I don't know.

here is my current stock:
- MonsterCable Aplha 2 (broken diamond)
- benz micro MC-Silver (High output)
- Denon Dl103 (original version)
- ZYX RS20 High output

TT - Pioneer PL-60 w/i Grace 545 arm.
Pre-am - AudioResearch SP15
Power amp - McInotsh 275 CE
I also experience some lead in skipping when I lowered the cartridge, maybe I set the VTF too low (currently already 1.9g, maybe I try 2 tonight and see if that work, No such probem with other cartridges though.