The Schroeder has arrived

My Schroeder Reference arrived over the holiday weekend. It has been a long wait but looks to be well worth it. The fit and finish on this tonearm is a work of art. The adjustments are actually very simple compared to many arms. Most adjustments are just a slight turn of a set screw. The arm sounds incredible. I have heard others say effortless. That seems pretty good to me as words really cannot describe how good this sounds in my system. I am still in the process of fine tuning and the wire is still breaking in so I guess it will probably sound even better. I am using a Shelter 901 on it and that seems to match up well. BTW, if anyone is looking to buy a Schroeder I would strongly suggest working with Thom at Galibier Design. He kept in contact with me throughout the lengthy waiting period and was excellent with the delivery and setup. I would though be interested to hear from any others that may have this tonearm and their thoughts on some of the cartridges that are a good match.
128x128dmailer
In my case lengthy was 7 months. Apparently Frank had some issues with Incognito, his termination source which relocated from Europe to Canada during the time my arm was ready for termination. This just added to what was already a rather long lead time. Regardless the arm is worth the wait. My system is currently an early Redpoint/Galibier Testa Rosa with an aluminum/teflon platter. I am using Bent Audio's S&B stepups and a Hagerman Trumpet phono. This is going into Lamm's L2 line stage and ML1 monoblocks. Speakers are Rick Reimer's Tetons. I have experimented with the damping adjustment and it does have a major effect. If you are careful you can make this adjustment while the record is playing which makes detecting the difference even easier. I too seem to prefer the damping not quite as low which results in a more open sound. I have heard alot of good things about the ZYX cartridges. My concern may be the lower ouput level and the match with my electonics more then the match with the tonearm. I will check out Doug's ZYX reviews. My Shelter 901 sounds very good in my system so I have also thought of maybe upgrading to the 90X. I guess at these levels personal preference and system matching is the key.
I use an Airy3 LO on a DPS (described as 98% a reference by Herr Schroeder) and works well. The magnetic damping control is quite slick and effective. I use the K&K Phono stage.
Dmailer I second your endorsement for Thom of Galibier - he's a genuine enthusiast and a great guy.

I know that Zyx are very popular around here and I heard an Airy 2 on a Schroeder Ref/dps. It was almost perfect - wonderful openness and neutrality however it lacked bass weight and extension (on Stones-type rock cuts) and I personally couldn't live with that compromise.

I have also heard a DL103 and a Koetsu Urushi Vermilion mounted on the Schroeder Ref when compared to gimbal arms (Micro Seiki MAX 282 and Morch DP6) I thought the bass reproduction was slightly looser when they were mounted in the Schroeder compared to the other arms.

The kind of sound you're aiming for and the music you play will dictate your cart choice (I would expect the Zyx to sound be great on small acoustic ensembles but not for organ works), however if you're happy with the Shelter sound....

The other cart I'm curious to hear in a Schroeder is the Jan Allaerts MC1B.
So.......What type of WOOD did you get on the Wand?
And what length? I think the Reference comes in any
length from 8.5" to 12"

I am thinking of ordering the Schroder II
since I don't have the big bucks for the Ref.
I own the Shelter 501 & the Music maker3.

How much money did you have to pay up front to get
the Arm ordered?

You definitely have some nice electronics there, what Table did you say you have?
Socoaste
I exchanged e-mails with Frank Schroder regarding armwand lengths. Longer arms have less tracking distortion. However, longer arms are not as rigid and more prone to vibrations. It is a trade off. Frank feels that for his arms, the 9" (222mm) is the best compromise. I had originally wanted a 12" arm. Frank talked me out of it. YMMV