Need MC Step-Up Transformer advice?

I'm thinking of a different approach dealing with my low output Benz MC Cartridge.
What is the feeling and opinion in this forum about Step-Up transformers .vs. active amplification.

Right now I'm using a Audible Illusions M3A (With Gold Phono boards), Levinson Amp and Quads.
I will probably be changing preamps soon - not sure to what.

Anyone have experience with multiple transformers that can guide me towards some and away from others?

Thanks, Steve
rotary914
Yikes, here we go again.
Keep your head down Rotary914 because I hear... INCOMING!!!

For the record:
- some of us love them
- some of us tolerate them
- one of us hates them with a fiery passion

I believe that covers the entire range of attitudes. Hopefully you will be spared the umpteenth rehash of this topic with all its associated gore.

The most experienced stepup user I know is 'munna' on VA. He owns over twenty different ones. I know which ones work best with my cartridges, but that means nothing to you since my cartridges are not Benz's. I'd suggest asking over there. Perhaps munna's got Benz experience to match his tranny experience.

Regards,
Doug

P.S. I drive a rotary RX-8. What's a rotary 914? An old Porsche with a Wankel?
I use a Benz M2 (0.8mV) and have found the K&K step-up that uses Lundahl transformers to be a good match. These come in kit form but for a nominal fee Kevin Carter will build them for you. You can also have the output cables hardwired (I chose this) and while the step-up ratio and gain is set at the time of order (14db, 20db, or 26db), it can be changed later if you can solder or know someone who else who can as Kevin provides the schematic for each gain level. I have been using this step-up with a Hagerman Trumpet and have been pleased with the sound.

While I do not know if these are compatible with Benz, I have heard very positive things about them: Bent Audio, Steven & Billings, Tribute, Audio Note, and if you can find one used, Cotter. Some of these come ready to use and others require you to build the casings, etc.

As Dougdeacon mentioned you'll be in for a variety of opinions here. Wait, what's that I here, bunker down I think I here Raul coming.
Hi Steve

I have been using step-ups for a number of years, and they are not half as bad as people make them out to be. If fact, I much prefer the gain from a step up to active amplification.

If you are on the cautious side and do not want to spend a boatload of money, I would suggest you give Kevin at K&K a call. You can buy a Lundahl kit step-up or (I have been told) he will sell you an already assembled step-up. Considering their modest price, I give them 11 out of 10 for sonics.

On another thread there is a short discussion on burning in step-ups. This is a procedure that you need to do to get the step-up to sound its best.

Regards
Paul

Ps. I am not affiliated with K&K in any way. I am simply a (very) satisfied client.