best turntable under $5k

I just discovered how vinyl is so much better than cd, after using a clear audio emotion turntable for a short while I would like to upgrade to something better. I would prefer to get something that is constantly being improved upon. Is vpi a good place to start or is building a kit the way to go. I want to approach first class sound.
pedrillo
Pedrillo: I agree with Flyingred, the Galibier metal design is a very good choice, too.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I need to make it very clear that the Hagerman Trumpet, along with the Artemis PH-1/PL-1 are the two best commercial phono stages I've heard to date. The differences between the two are ones of system matching and such.

Because Jim sells his gear direct to the public (and the public benefits from this), I was not able to take on his product line. The opportunity arose to carry the Artemis line and I availed myself of it.

Perhaps you can run two speakers, but owning two phono stages is a bit extravagant for a small guy who's in the process of stocking his demo room. It is for this reason, and for this reason only that my Trumpet came available, and Clio09 was in the right place at the right time. He is now smiling ear to ear.

Don't hold your breath expecting Trumpets to appear on the used market anytime soon. Owners are correctly reluctant to parting with them.

I mention this because I consider Jim Hagerman to be a friend, and I take very personally any statement which might foster the wrong perception of his very fine products.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
To All,
A qualifier from me. I have not heard any of the Galibier TT's.
Rgds,
Larry
Clio09 makes a good point about the budget covering arm and cart too. I would still advocate the Galibier at $4500 because that will last a lifetime.

A good table will give rock solid speed stability which is fundamental to hearing timing, timbre and nuance. My first hearing of the Galibier was with a very modestly priced Denon DL103R mounted on a classic Micro Seiki arm and it blew me away.

Therefore, to keep close to your budget Pedrillo I would suggest that you buy a DL103 (the R if you can run to it) and look out for a used modified (Origin Live, Michell, Expressimo, etc.) Rega arm (which matches the Denon very well). Then over time you can upgrade the arm and cart.

For fun, I bought a used Mayware Formula 4 for $90 and can't believe how well it works with a modest Grado mm cart. It's not state of the art but when carefully set up is very relaxing and enjoyable listening.
the micro seiki (vacuum model) in its original box with the ikeda it245 with a nice cartridge for 4000 looks damned good..