Just bought a nitty gritty, hear no difference.

Hi folks,

So I bit the bullet and bought a Nitty Gritty Record Doctor III, which is distributed only through Audio Advisor. It's a cheaper version of the 1.0- same functionality, with a slightly more utilitarian design, and $100 cheaper. I've cleaned about 10 records with it, and I hear absolutely no difference between records cleaned with the vacuum machine and those cleaned by my $10 record brush. What's the deal? I'm following the instructions to a T... I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks!
lousyreeds1
This may not be your problem, but my recommendation to make sure lp's get as clean as possible is to scrub copiously with manual Disk Doctor pads first and THEN transfer to the RCM. The RCM is great at removing anything that's been loosened up, but I personally don't think it gets down into the grooves and disturbs hardened in dirt as completely as the Disk Doctor pads.
What is the difference between the record doctor II and the record doctor III ?
I had the NG 1.1 and I used to use a Sound GUard mat to scrub the record on before the vacuum stage. I found that the Sound Guard mat held the record in place and allowed me to really bear down with the brush to lossen all that would come off. I did upgrade to the VPI 16.5 and can do that scrubbing on the platter now. But one more thing is I bought the Needle Doctor Scrubbing brushes too. I found those worked much better than the NG Brush.
Good Luck!