60 cycle hum

I'm running a Rega P5 with outboard PSU into a Yamaha receiver with an internal phono stage. I hear no extraneous noise with the needle off the record 'til the volume control hits 12:00 - it then increases as the volume increases.

Playing records, the Exact cartridge has such a high output that I routinely listen between 9:00 and 10:00 and get plenty of volume...

Is the hum a problem or am I looking for an excuse to buy an add on phono stage?

BTW I seem to recall the same "problem" with an old HK receiver and a Denon TT with a Grado cart........but I thought it was Grado hum and when I swapped the cartridge for an Ortofon it was still there, but only at very high, not listening, volumes.

any comments would be appreciated.
joe_in_seattle
Additional information: hum present in both channels (speakers). Becomes louder as tonearm approaches the spindle. Hum disappears when phono leads disconnected from receiver. Doesn't seem to vary when leads moved away from/toward power cords behind receiver.
Are you using a VPI Power Line Conditioner to fine tune your speed? The old PLC would cause hum if placed too close to circuitry. Moving it away a few feet would solve this.
the cartridge is picking up noise from the motor in the turntable probably. grado doesn't sheild cartridge says turntable should be, don,t know about your exact cartridge.
Bill
The Exact is shielded but will still pick up stray noise from transformers, etc.

Where do you have the PSU located?
PSU is located about a foot to the right of the TT. I've tried reversing its plug polarity and plugging it directly into the wall instead of the monster HTS 2000.