Analog tuners in the digital age

I think that all TV and Radio will be broadcasting in digital sound in the near future. Is that correct?

If that is true, what will you have to do to make your classic tuners function, get a digital receiver for them?
bryanhod
How many people do you know who have digital radios (not counting satellite)? If people won't buy them, then analog will be around for a long time. Even new cars still come with analog radios.

It is possible, that if most urban areas become one big broadband hotspot, then people will get their music that way, and digital radio will become obsolete before it even starts.

Broadband radio if it comes could even kill off satellite. Remember you heard it here first..

We have one local station who broadcasts in digital. They also still broadcast in analog. I wonder if they really have any digital listeners.

They keep pushing back the deadline for cutting off analog TV, because the public is not buying the new TV sets in enough volume. Besides, with cable and satellite so readily available, who cares about digital broadcast television anyway.

They even put a bill through congress to give everyone a $250 voucher paid by the government to purchase digital converters for analog TV's, in the hope it will of help kill off analog at some point (date uncertain).

Analog radio will likely go away someday, but I don't see a firm date at this point. The analog broadcast equipment is all bought and paid for. Besides the money in radio is in the advertising. If the ears for advertisers are mostly still on analog so will be the stations.
Makes sense to me Sugarbrie.

Is there a converter for radio that currently exits for digital to analog broadcast signals?
Slim Devices makes a Digital to analog device to go from your computer to the amp so if radio ever goes totally digital then a converter will probably be avaliable
I agree with Sugarbrie; and I work in the television industry. Congress is mostly interested in converting the TV broadcast system from analog to digital so they can auction off the current TV spectrum for BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. I have heard little to convince me that digital radio is going to go anywhere soon. The few receivers I've seen are expensive - lots more than the average radio listener will usually part with. And frankly since I already get XM Radio through my DirectTV system and have two great MacIntosh tuners to get first rate AM & FM - why should I invest a dime in a technology that I suspect few are listening to.
I suspect there are lots of audiophiles who will agree.