Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
Larry,BOY am I glad to hear(SOMETHING)from you.I admit to being a bit saddened by lack of correspondence.You were SUCH a nice guy!!

Anyway,the record flattener basically does nothing to change the characteristic of the original LP,as I understand it,from this guy.He is ecstatic!Believe me,he has a record collection like no other,and has way more rare,and valuable collectible discs than anyone I know of.Yet,he will not flatten any friends' discs,as he doesn't want a "Run" on his unit!Can't blame him!

Hope this info helps!BTW--buy it!!
Sirspeedy,
Good to hear from you as well.
Do you know the brand and model of your buddy's flattening machine ?
Rgds,
Larry
You guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I'm planning on sandwiching a few of my extremely warped specimens between a couple pieces of plywood and setting a 50lb. weight on top and leaving them for several months. Naturally, these records aren't prime collectors items, but I'm hoping this works well enough to salvage a Doors first album and U2's Joshua Tree. Both are so bad I can't play them now anyway.

I'm sure the commercial product is faster, safer, less work, etc.
Cello,

Can you add anymore to the sonic differences of htese brands? Especially the difference between the Triplanar and the Schroeder Model 2 or DPS.

thanks!

Andrew
The unit is the Air Tight(of this I'm pretty sure).It lists at about two grand,and I believe is carried by a variety of places,like Music Direct,or Acoustic sounds.

The reason it originally interested me(remember I put out a thread,vying for some kind of chip-in,which is really not a great idea),was because it IS very reliable,and repeatable.So,you have no worries about flattening out expensive/rare discs.This guy has flattened everything from rare,collectible early mono,to Decca Wide Bands,to the rarest EMI's.Plenty of POP music too.He is a "serious" hobbyist(ya know--with multiple arms,and a cartridge salon,consisting of the Titan,mono and stereo,as well as the Koetsu Coral Stone).

I have noticed some other manufacturers(like Clearaudio)offering these flatteners,but the pricing seems to be getting rediculous(as in too high).

I have always been surprised as to why something like this type of flattening unit has not really caught on,as much as it should have.More "local hobbyists" should chip-in on one,or even a dealer could offer the service.It seems to be a great accessory,if you have a large lp collection,or are a very active collector.The "bit" with the heated glass "Rube Goldbergs" never appealed.

The only caveat would be,after you've flattened your dozen or so warped discs,the unit could sit around for a long time.Unless one decides to make a few bucks on their friends-:)

Best!