Phono preamp and Turntable

I'm looking for a decent phone preamp and low maintenance turntable to go with a Bel Canto Evo2i.

I have about $2,000 in the budget for both. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
shimanole
I forget to include money for a decent cartridge, but can start (and possibly finish) with the highly regarded Denon DL-103R for ~$225 brand new.

Don't let that price fool you, it can keep pace with many of the $1k+ carts all day long.

More phono pres:
Dynavector P-75 - $600 new, $375 used
Pro-Ject Phono Box SE - $300 new
Pro-Ject Tube Box - $550 new, $300 used

Anyway, a VPI Scout, JMW-9 tonearm, the Denon 103R, and the Gram Slee Era or EAR 834P will give you a terrific, no hassle, sound. You'll need one of the Denon AU-3000(?) stepup transformers to boost the 103R's output up For the Gram Slee, but not the EAR 834P.
Used Basis 1400 with the stock arm (I think it is a modified Rega RB-250) and a decent cartridge. They seem to sell for about $1200-1600 used for the full package, minus a phono pre-amp. That would leave you $400-$800 for the phono pre-amp of your choice.

Enjoy,

TIC
I listen to primarily rock and alternative if that makes a difference for preamp recommendations.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Hello. For your $2000 budget I would suggest used vintage gear and there are a lot of used old goodies.

For the phono I would recommend a vintage tube pre-amp with built-in mm phono section like a Conrad Johnson PV5 (around $400) which will destroy any separate phono pre-amp.

Turntable...many choices. Sota, Oracle, Michell Gyro just to name a few. As mentioned above, don't skimp out on a crappy cartridge.

Happy hunting!