What will beat ear 834p by a margin

I may be barking up the wrong tree. I was considering going for the GSP AUDIO ERA GOLD, or PASS XONO, OR ACOUSTECH PH-1P, OR AESTHTIX RHEA, or WHEST P20, or K and K kit, or SUTHERLAND PH.D. But I am wondering if this is a worthwhile expense? I am getting the impression that what I have is perty darn good! I can't look at the boulder or aesthetix for obvious reasons ($), so what is there that will beat the ear 834p by a big enough margin to justify the added expense? I am guessing that these may be better but which one stands out? My top choices were: GSP but EAR834P topped it, RHEA but heard its noisy, EAR 324 but heard it lacks bass headroom, PASS XONO but not quietest, WHEST but lacks micro-detail, SUTHERLAND PH.D not dynamic, EVANS GROOVE, AUDIO RESEARCH PH5, BAT VKP10, HAGERMAN TRUMPET, ART AUDIO, CARY 302, etc. Other than manley steelhead what would be considered 2nd best after boulder 2008 and aesthetix io signature. I am guessing maybe EVANS, CARY, BAT VKP10SE, AESTHETIX non signature, PASS XONO, K and K, AUDIO RESEARCH PH5 or REFERENCE, HAGERMAN TRUMPET, ASR BASIS, AYRE, CONRAD JOHNSON 15, LINN LINTO, CLEARAUDIO, HERRON VTPH1, ARTEMIS, ROWLAND CADENCE or do I stick with EAR834P. . And can the IO be upgraded from non to signature, and the BAT VK P10 to an se. And is the K and K really that good, is it much better than an EAR834P?
pedrillo
wow. talk about audiophilia nervosa. Take a step back and ask why you want to upgrade. I'm guessing for a noticable across the board upgrade, right? I'd tell you my pick, but then you might snatch up what I am looking at (I assume you are buying used, unauditioned). You also need to define to us and yourself what "by a wide margin is." Depending on your definitions this might be easy or impossible. I'd also only strongly consider gear you can see, feel, and audition. Then maybe pretend the other gears don't exist.

Sorry I can't answer your question. I hope my guidance was somewhat useful.
The K&K Audio phono stage will beat the 834 by a country mile. I have owned both and still have the K&K.

Oz
In numerous posts you keep asking what essentially is the same question. The answer is, there are a large number of phono stages that exceed the performance of the EAR 834. Only you can determine whether the increased performance is worth the added costs involved.

Also, phono stage performance is very dependent upon what cartridge is used. Even with flexible loading and gain, some cartridges work better with certain phono stages. You could easily acquire a better phono stage and not realize its full potential because it doesn't mate well with your specific cartridge.

Finally, as asked above, what exactly is making you so unhappy with the 834?
There is a Hagerman Trumpet on Audiogon right now for $1250 that includes NOS tubes. That is a steal assuming it is in excellent condition. You may need to run a step-up with it, I use the K&K Audio step-up with mine, but the sound is phenomenal. It will trounce the EAR, although if you do like it, then Mitch Singerman can make that unit sing for you. He is famous for his EAR 834 mods.

I don't own and have never heard the K&K phono, but I have a K&K TVC passive in addition to the step-up. If I hadn't gotten a great deal on the Hagerman, then I would have gone with the K&K. Kevin's work is excellent.
It really depends on the rest of your system and what your preferences are. I found that after sending mine to GNSC that the sound of the 834P really opened up quite a bit, the bass got tighter and the frequency extremes all got wider. The modded unit also has such a low noise floor you need to put your ear right next to the speaker to hear that it is on. Not a small improvement for the money spent. While retaining all the qualities I like with the stock unit. The total cost of that investment cost me $1200, which included a new volume pot from Dact plus the cost for a set of NOS Mullard CV4004’s. In my system running it through an Audible Illusions M3A with 1960 Siemens CCA's has made a great combo. I'm hoping to upgrade the AIM3A by year-end with a First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk.2. Then we'll see where the 834p stands. I’m thinking of going with the Manley Steelhead if it becomes time to upgrade. But in my current system it mates quite well with my M3A. At the end of the day the 834P is a great preamp that can be made even better with some mods, NOS tubes and some careful system matching. Best of luck in your quest