best tonearm for Kondo IO-J cart.

i know not too many people have this cartrige , but whats the best arm to use with it? do i need high mass arm or low?
diamonddude184142
Raul, i was always told that usually the best way was to have a really good MM phono stage & use a great step-up for the extra gain. maybe i was misinformed.
Hi Raul,
well the Kondo IO-J was heard with the Kondo phono M7 and the Step-up Transformer KSL-SF-Z.
In this chain there was no Klyne as Phono preamp. I think here that the lesson the Kondo chain underlines is the interlocking nature of the whole musical attributes. And the design of the developer Hiroyasu Kondo.
Raul you know that also the Lamm LP2 has a buildin Step-up Transformer, and it sounds quite ok.

Regard
Karl-Heinz
Dear Diamonddude18: Here it is what I posted in other thread about:

+++++ " 02-20-06: Rauliruegas
Dear friends: Here are some facts about why exist the SUTs for LO cartridges ( at least is my point of view ):

- In the fifthies appear the MC LO cartridges ( As a fact: Ortofon invented in 1948. ). In that time all the phonopreamps were designed for HO cartridges MM/MI/etc. No one was in the design of high gain PP because no body need it.

- Ortofon and latter other MC LO cartridges never ask to the PP designers/builders to manufacture a high gain PP for their MC LO cartridges. What I mean is that never exist a cooperation job between the MC LO builders and the PP manufacturers.

- What was the comercial attitude of almost all MC LO cartridges builders?: to put on sale their MC LO cartridges along with a SUTs ( designed for it self ) for those MC LO cartridges.

- I can remember from Ortofon when they design the MC10, MC 20, Mc 30, Mc 2000, Mc 3000 and MC 5000, cartridges at the same time they offer the respective SUT: T 10, T 20, T 30, T 5000.

- Like Ortofon everybody do the same: Denon, Audiocraft, Fidelity Research, Koetsu, Micro Seiki, Accuphase, Dynavector, Highphonic, Audio Technica, Entre, etc, etc.

- In the mid-time what does the PP designers ( SS or tube ) for the development of a high gain PP?: almost nothing, almost all take the easy " cheap road " ( wrong/worst one ): that the customers buy SUTs along with their PP if they want to handle a LO cartridge. Some of the PP designers/builders incorporate in their " high gain " PP internal SUTs, exactly like today ones.

- No body take the challenge to design a HG PP with out SUTs. There are some exceptions: Curl, Levinson, Pass, Klyne, Classé, D'angostino, etc, etc,

- So we all are suffering the " easy road/ wrong road " that almost all designers/builders take it more than 55 years ago.

- All those comercial attitude never take into account us: the audio customers and never take into account the QUALITY MUSIC/SOUND REPRODUCTION. They don't care about in those times and many of them don't care about today.

Fortunatelly, in the last few years, some PP builders finally take the challenge ( others like me designed our self ones ) and we have some very good HG PP, many of them at very high price.

This change of comercial attitude: Bravo!!!!!!, could tell us that the best about is coming because the developtment of HG PPs are really " starting ", it is not a mature industry.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul. " +++++

PP=phonopreamp.

Unfortunatelly exist a lot of disinformation in this subject and in other audio subjects. The designers and top reviewers that know everything I post here prefer ( I think for comercial/business interest ) to stay in dead silence.

Raul.
Dear Karl: Thx, I understand that Kondo synergy but I'm sorry to disagree again, like I told you if the analog chain needs a step up transformer for the quality sound reproduction stay right on target this mean that there are severe problems around that analog chain and that the step up transformer comes to compensate for. But this could not " say " that the best " road " is the SUT, that's only means that in other stage than the SUT ( usually in the phonolinepreamp ) is a big problem.

Yes Karl I know about the Lamm one and I can asure you that with out it ( with a good stage design like own Lamm ) that Lamm could be a lot better and not only ok.

Raul.