Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Pretty sweet! The woodworking appears flawless. You have to love tung oil.

Mike
Kim,
Looks fantastic! How does it sound?
Could you please post details- how long to rebuild, list arm, cart, other components, type of music you prefer, etc.
Thanks, good work.

Hey Kim,

Looking Good! What's that beautiful gnarley wood on the sides? What are all the woods that you used? How's the Sumiko acting as a retriever? Do you have it set up with or without the dampning fluid? So many questions ....
I forgot to put in the specs. 25 7/8" wide, 20 15/16" long and 7 3/4" weight- 93 pounds. Alternating layers of 3/4" MDF and 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. Pan sits directly on top layer of BB, four long wood scres through pan into plinth and 4 bolts through the plinth into the top plate. Trim is solid Bubinga, top and sides are quilted waterfall Bubinga veneer, finish is hand rubbed tung oil.I owe thanks to 4yanks for the tung oil inspiration and rottenstone suggestion for the final coat of oil. My first veneer project. The three feet are large round headed bolts for leveling. Kim