Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b

Hi Mike,

Was trying to find information that related to secondary transmitters of EMF based on alloy ferrous content, but was unable to locate it again. Somewhere in researching this last year, I visited the whole question of whether unabsorbed redirected EMF off a MuShield would pose additional emitter difficulties as various metal alloys in the Lenco (platter, motor shaft, top plate) were permeated to the degree of iron in their respective mixes.

I do remember that it was of enough concern with the unknown (and unknowable?) alloy contents in various exposed Lenco parts to solidify a decision for going up top of the platter. Even then, I had concerns that the record spindle itself, might act as some RKO tower and omni emitter of interference. Thankfully, this is not the case, and one hears only a small amount of hum when the Gauss detecting Grado is directly over the spindle. Whether this is due to chrome plating of the spindle, or the brassy elements of the bearing sump, I haven’t a clue.

But I did come across a couple of notes today that should be highlighted as REVISIONS to the Lenco MuMetal recipe. (Grant & Chuck be advised)
1- It DOES matter which layer should be glued to the platter first. The thinner, low permeable foil should be closer to the EMF source and get pressed in first.
2- Hammering MuMetal reduces its effectiveness because it changes the crystalline structure of the alloy. Put your energies into cutting the MuMetal foils with a hard surface and many, many utility knife blades. Ridging of the cut edge is the bane of this project and must be avoided. It will not promote a smooth meld to the platter and its removal is problematic. Shearing often causes its own ridging.

In my application, I was able to get away with minimal shearing of edge burrs and some very light tapping with a hammer at the spindle hole.
Ok, I'll attach it to the top of the plate. Thanks again - and for the revised notes as well. Chuck
Ohhhhh… that Red Green :) Sounds humorous.

As to being down south too long - I gist bought me a steel geetar. No kidding, a '71 Emmons "fatback" out of the local Pennysaver - yeee haar! Sort of analogous to an early telecaster in terms of sound and desirability (among steel players).

Mario your offer for a slice of that thar mu metal is intriguing, please contact me.

Mike
Anyone out there have any time on their hands to build a quick plinth? I need a 3.5 inch thick plinth with as little wood taken away as possible for a Lenco L70 Deck. Super simple - alternating layers of half inch baltic birch ply and half inch layers of mdf. I need it cut, glued and squared off - I'll take care of the rest of the finishing - I just don't ahve any access to big tools right now. Send me an email if you are interested. I'm dying to get on with my next table...
If anyone wants mumetal to shield their platter as per Mario's approach, I just ordered some and will have about 4 sets of sheets that I will sell you for my cost. The kit cost $140, so each set would be about $30 (round #, including postage). If you've got the same hum I do, this is how Mario got rid of it. Email me if you're interested.